Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What foods to start?

Default What foods to start?

At two months, kaylee developed what we originally thought to be eczema on her arms which soon spread EVERYWHERE!! We took her to the doctor and after all the dry skin advice i could handle we found out that she just had a sensitivity or allergy to something i am eating. we eliminated milk and eggs from my diet and poof, her skin started to improve. Now we are getting ready soon to start solids, but i am concerned that she will be sensitive to other foods as well. I just don't know what kinds of foods after cereals i should start with.

Default Re: What foods to start?

well of course rice cerial is the first thing. but i think you said besides cerial, with all four of my kids the first thing they said to start with was squash, or sweet potatoes. The orange veggies i guess are the best place to start at least according to my pediatrician.

how old is baby?
    Lots of babies with alleriges will self regulate their solid intake and refuse them.
    LLL recomends high calorie foods like avacodo and sweat potatoes..
    heres a link
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBsolids.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/solids.html

http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...Jan00p130.html

heres a good link from dr sears
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/3/T032000.asp

Misty
    Loving my two sweet girls Audrey (7/18/06) and Annie (6/18/09) Baby #3 due to appear 8/5/10

Feel free to ask me about my successful HBAC , food allergies, cloth diapers, and the joy of having a high-needs, non-sleeping little dear who has grown into a wonderful preschooler.

Blogging here.

Rice cereal isnt even much recommended any more..

We started with bananas but DS cant hang with them so our staple now is beans and cheerio's

I love the first foods link from Kelly mom!
    have fun
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/bab...eding/113.html

Baby center still says rice cerial, as do my pediatrician, and when I googled it because i thought i was wrong, everything said rice cerial is usually the first food. Whew, thought I had been feeding my kids wrong all this time, or maybe our doc was a moron, but that is the standard according to all the literature I just read. I went through at least ten different sites and they all said it, so i feel safe saying it to you. Rice cerial, then one at a time single(unmixed)fruits and veggies. so you can watch for food allergies, if you only introduce them one at a time, then you will know for sure which causes problems if your lo has an allergy to it. Good luck!
    Last edited by ab0919; February 8th, 2007 at 10:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ab0919 View Post
    http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/bab...eding/113.html

Baby center still says rice cerial, as do my pediatrician, and when I googled it because i thought i was wrong, everything said rice cerial is usually the first food. Whew, thought I had been feeding my kids wrong all this time, or maybe our doc was a moron, but that is the standard according to all the literature I just read. I went through at least ten different sites and they all said it, so i feel safe saying it to you. Rice cerial, then one at a time single(unmixed)fruits and veggies. so you can watch for food allergies, if you only introduce them one at a time, then you will know for sure which causes problems if your lo has an allergy to it. Good luck!
    But not LLL. Rice ceral has very little nutritonal value except the iron they add to it. That is the reason it's reccomended at all. It can be binding and is highly processed. You can do without and many of us who have used LLL as our resource to see to where to start to feed our exclusively breastfed children have skipped it altogether.

Way too lazy for formula

I am wondering about this LLL recommendation. I don't dispute it, but I'm curious. The reason I've seen many people give for not using rice cereal is that it has low nutritional value. That's true for many brands, but some of them are fortified with vitamins (not just iron) and made with whole grains. I'm not saying that rice cereal is better than breastmilk - of course not! But does this recommendation against rice cereal take into consideration all of the varieties out there? Could someone explain a little better?

Quote Originally Posted by madeleinesmom View Post
    The reason I've seen many people give for not using rice cereal is that it has low nutritional value. That's true for many brands, but some of them are fortified with vitamins (not just iron) and made with whole grains.
    OK. Fortified means Added. So your baby isn't going to absorb it (iron or vitamins) nearly as well as they are going t oabsorb these things if your just feed your babies actual foods that have them in them. I.E. MY son's 1st food that he ate actually ate was watermelon. It's a great source of iron. So is spinach which he eats a ton of. Beyond all this it's very highly processesd no matter what they add to it. It can be skipped. When I want him to have what rice has to offer as a food, I fed him whole grain rice. Do you have to skip it? No. But the intitial response to the OP was "Well of course rice cereal" to which Eme basically said "Not really". Plenty of us skip it and it really isn't needed. If it's what you choose, that fine. But the site we're on doesn't reccomend it. As an exclusive breastfeeder this is where I came to learn and make decisions about solids. I chose based on what I found here to skip it. I have done child led so I haven't given my baby anything pureed or mashed unless that's how we eat them. (Like potatoes.)
    But even Moms who are doing baby food often choose to skip it. It can be very binding. When most food that naturally have iron in them have the opposite effect.

Way too lazy for formula