Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this safe to do?

Default Is this safe to do?

I returned to work on 1/15 after 2 months of maternity leave. The first week, I pumped twice a day and as a result only logged 37 hours of pay even though I was here 40 hours. (Any time over my 1 hour of breaks/lunches was unpaid.) I've been trying to 'train' my body to not produce so much milk, and have gotten it successfully down to one pumping session per day. I am just a little bit concerned that I could get plugged ducts or some other problem from not pumping often enough? Let me also preface this with the fact that I had to pump exclusively on one side for a week to heal a crack that just got progressively worse and worse. As a result, the other side began overproducing and pretty much gets engorged at the drop of a hat. My lactation consultant told me to apply green cabbage - 2- 3 times after pumping, but this is kind of hard to do at work- I usually only apply one leaf while I am pumping the other side. The side I had to pump is fine, it's always soft. The one that's overproducing gets sore and feels tight, but when I check it, it's still soft. I usually wait until later in the day to pump and there is no problem with let down. Basically I want to know if it's safe to only pump once a day or am I risking some sort of misery? Also any ideas on getting the production on the one side to slow down besides green cabbage? --I would prefer not to pump at all but I am a "milk godess" so I produce too much to ignore it. (I am sure I am going to hear about that comment!) But even when I did pump twice a day, my son blew through 4 days' worth of pumping in one day, so I had to supplement with formula anyway!!

Default Re: Is this safe to do?

is the baby nursing any at your breast?
    are you wanting too wean?

I nurse him in the evenings, the middle of the night and in the morning before I leave for work. No, I do not want to wean. I just hate pumping, and would rather not have to do it. I think part of that is because with my daughter, I pumped exclusively for about 3 months- she just would not latch on! When my son was born, I resolved that if he didn't latch on, I was not going to pump for any extended period of time. He did latch on and loves to nurse, so I am going to try to nurse him for 6 months at least, or longer if possible. I'm thinking up to a year, although what I've read on this site has made me consider going up to two years???

You might want to call your local leader but I think your body will adjust over time to pumping just once at work.
    Some babies reverse cycle (eat a bunch at night) to make up for being gone from mom during the day. They will take less milk at day care, just to tide them over untill they get back with mom.
    Any breastmilk is wonderfull for baby!

My ped suggested to me that if it got to hard to pump at work just to nurse at night & in the am.
    I hate pumping also. It is really hard for me to find the time & place to pump at work. Today I just pumped once on my lunch break.

So you prolly know this already but if you pump the over active breast empty your telling it to go full bore and make, MORE MORE MORE! lol! I would pump some off the top to ease the discomfort, but don't pump it "dry". So to clarify I am NOT saying to leave it aching and hot all day so you get mastitus, but only to mabye sneak into the bathroom on a pee break with a manual pump and take a little out so you're not so uncomfortable. Then pump as you wish until it learns what you want its going to be a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    So you prolly know this already but if you pump the over active breast empty your telling it to go full bore and make, MORE MORE MORE! lol! I would pump some off the top to ease the discomfort, but don't pump it "dry". So to clarify I am NOT saying to leave it aching and hot all day so you get mastitus, but only to mabye sneak into the bathroom on a pee break with a manual pump and take a little out so you're not so uncomfortable. Then pump as you wish until it learns what you want its going to be a pain.

Yes my lactation consultant told me to 'pump to comfort' although my breast is often still full after I do that; but I know if I empty it I'm telling it to fill up again! I was engorged for like 3 weeks after he was born until I started using the green cabbage. I used to have to use it before bed every night or I'd be engorged in the morning!