Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is the smell test a true test?

Default Is the smell test a true test?

My baby is eating less ebm. I smelled it and had my husband smell it to see if it was bad. It didn't have any odor. I heated it up and it has a slight smell but nothing foul.
    I tasted it and I didn't like the taste of it but that could just be me. If it doesn't smell, the milk is safe, right?
    Proud mother to Xavier Brian

Default Re: Is the smell test a true test?

I always taste mine if I am concerned about it going bad. Mine will start tasting funny before it smells off. Your bm should have a mild, slightly sweet taste. If you don't like the taste of it, you may have a lipase issue . It could also be caused by picking up other odors from your fridge/freezer or from the defrost/freeze cycle of your freezer.

It's truly only considered bad for your baby if it's sour, but most los won't drink it if the smell is off.

Can you describe the taste (sour, soapy, etc)? How are you storing your ebm?

It tasted mildly sweet but then had a funny after taste. I've been pumping it and storing it in the fridge in a plastic container. The milk is used within 24 hours.

Lipase will give your milk a slightly "Soapy" taste. The enzeme breaks down the fat in your milk from what I understand. I have to scald my milk within 4 hours of pumping or its starts tasting weird. FYI freezing DOES NOT DEACTIVATE! You'll need to get milk up to 160 degrees for 15 seconds in order to turn off the lipase. i use my bottle warmer and have tweaked it so I only add a given amount of water compared to oz to reach the correct temp. Might be worth investigating. hth

I'm not sure if I'm having lipase issues. I think I'm just being a little paranoid. He ate the last two bottles without a problem.