Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: latch is still not correct

Unhappy latch is still not correct

I have been trying to breast feed for almost 10 weeks now. My son's latch is still not correct and I am not sure how to fix it. He still does not want to seem to open his mouth wide enough. He likes to curl his lips under also. I am able to pop out his upper lip just fine but seem to be having problems doing that with his bottom lip though. He gets really frustrated and irritated if I try to correct his bottom lip and he ends up breaking the latch. Previously I was using the football hold but have been using the cradle hold since it allows me to better see his latch and correct it. I have been trying to pump and feed him the breastmilk with formula supplementation since I am not able to pump enough. When I attempt to breastfeed I have to use a SNS since he has been spoiled by the flow of the bottle eventhough we have been using the Cassing method when feeding him. On top of that I have to use nipple shields since my nipples are slightly flat and very firm. He can't seem to find my nipple without them though. When I see the lactation consultants they are able to fix his latch right away but I seem to have problems doing it on my own since it is hard getting the SNS tube just right on top of having to use the nipple shields and he has a habit of knocking those off as well. Does anyone have any suggestions for me since I am really starting to wonder if he is ever going to get the hang of things? My husband also wants me to stop trying and just give him the bottle since it is easier.

Default Re: latch is still not correct

sounds like you are doing all the right things. Some babies it just takes a while for them to get the hang of things.
    Don't be afraid to call your local leader she can give you somebody in real life to talk to. Sometimes it just helps to talk about whats going on.

Ha...at least you are getting some latch. My baby is just licking my nipple when the milk flows out. It is really frustrating.

All I can say is hang in there, it does get better!

My baby has the same problem with the curled in lips. She seems to be getting enough milk, but it is frustrating to know it is not "correct". I have found that doing a really compressed "sandwich stuff" helps get her gums far enough back on the areola to compensate for her mouth not opening wide.

There is a DVD called the real deal on breastfeeding which does a nice job descrbing a latch. She basically uses her thumb to move the nipple towards the top of the aerola then when the baby opens wide enough she releases her thumb and quickly brings him in. Hope this helps. Good luck!
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Sounds like a lot of contraptions to have to deal with for breastfeeding. How frustrating for all of you. My baby never really got that perfect latch but it got much more comfortable for me when her mouth got bigger and she got more head control. For a while I would unlatch and relatch, trying to get it right, and frustrating her. At some point I gave up correcting her. But your problem seems worse since you are having to use the sns. Does your pediatrician know about the problem? Mine always got enough milk, just didn't latch "properly." The upper lip was often curled and her bottom lip, sometimes. And she didn't get enough nipple in her mouth, which hurt a little. But again, once she got bigger, that didn't really matter. Give it another couple months. By then, he will know and tell you just what he wants. He only needs a tiny bit of your milk to get many of the benefits. I'm impressed by your determination.