Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Confused!!

Default Confused!!

Hi Everyone,

I am very confused! Please help! I exclusively pump for my DS. I pump every 3 hour for 20 min or so. Each session, i can pump 6 oz (right breast) and 4 oz (left breast). I have a 2nd let-down at 15 min, then a 3rd letdown at 20 min. So, how do i know when to stop to balance out the foremilk/hindmilk? Do i stop at exactly 20 min? or do i let it drain after 20 min. I am afraid of i let it drain after 20 min, i am going to product MORE milk. I already have a stash in freezer already. Don't want to pour milk down drain anymore.

Default Re: Confused!!

You have a lot of milk, for sure!

Is there a reason you're concerned about the balance of foremilk/hindmilk in your expressed milk?

Have you tried pumping for fewer total minutes or pumping less frequently? If so, what was the result?

And, finally, have you considered donating some of your extra milk?

Default Re: Confused!!

i am concerned about the hindmilk/foremilk because of DS. He seem VERY gassy all the time.. In addition, he would want to be fed all the time. Sometime, we would have to feed him every hr and he would take it and vomit it all back up. I heard foremilk is good for thirst only. So, should i be concern about the hindmilk/foremilk balance? I have slowly decrease my time to pump from 2 hour to 3 hour right now and still the same amount. I am thinking of slowly moving it to 4 hour. Will 15 min be good enough? or should i still go for 20 min? As for donating, i have thought about it but heard that you have to go through a string of testes to see if your milk is good enough. In addition, the closet bank around my area is about 40 miles away and with feeding, pumping, i am not sure if i can make it that far to donate.