Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Few squirts?

Default Few squirts?

When I pump, my breast will only give a few squits, 5 - 10, then no more milk comes out. I usually then go to the other breast. It does the same thing. I continue going from breast to breast back and forth until I get no milk from either . I am using a Medela electric pump on full power. It is a double pump, but I only use one, making sure the other side is blocked. I have also tried a different pump, thinking mine was not working, but gotthe same result. Is this normal? In a good pumping session, I get 3 oz, but normally, it is 1-2 from both breast total.

TIA

Hi, I'm Allison

Mama to Henry Carl 12/28/06

7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

Mama to Ryan Thomas 11/20/08
    8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!
    Mama to angel 4/03, Mama to angel 12/05

Feb TBTTW 33.1/70

Default Re: Few squirts?

That is a really good yeild, especially if you're also nursing full time.

That makes me feel better that this is a good amount. So I assume that it is safe to assume that when I go back to work and I am not feeding him from 8 - 3, that I should get a better flow and much more milk, right? I am just concerned that I will not be able to get enough milk to supply him during the day when I am gone!

Allison

Hi, I'm Allison

Mama to Henry Carl 12/28/06

7lbs, 15 oz, 20.5 in
    Breastfed for 20 months!

Mama to Ryan Thomas 11/20/08
    8lbs, 7 oz, 21 in
    Breastfed for 30 months!
    Mama to angel 4/03, Mama to angel 12/05

Feb TBTTW 33.1/70

You have pump on full power? Doesn't it hurt?

DS is almost 8wks. I am exclusively BF. DS only feeds from one side so I will usually pump after morning feeding. I fet about 2 oz total. I set Medela Advanced pump to the 3rd notch.

Sounds like your let down isn't kicking in too great. Have you looked at picture of lo when you pump? I am constantly telling women to try and record their lo's hunger crys and play them back in private at work. Your cues to trigger let down are visual as well as auditory. hth.

Most women find that if they double pump (pump both at once) they get a higher yield. I think it takes advantage of the fact that letdown occurs in both sides simultaneously.
    I have also heard many women say recently that they have a higher yield on lower power. Esp. after body gets used to it. Have you played with the settings at all to see if it helps?

I agree 1-3 oz is a great output, especially if nursing full time as well!

If you would still like to try to increase your supply, let us know your pumping schedule and we will try to help!