Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duration of feeding?

Default Duration of feeding?

I have been letting LO come off his one and he always takes both breasts.

I'm just not sure if I'm leaving him on too long.

He usually says on the first for 20-30 minutes then about 15 on the second. If I notice he's fallen asleep or is not swallowing, afer using some wake him up tactics, I remove him since I don't want him to see my breasts as pacifiers.

Thoughts?

Side note....I'm having trouble uploading pics...must they be in bmp format? Thanks!
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: Duration of feeding?

Hi NYWifey!

I have to go to bed now (hubby is waiting patiently!) but I quickly wanted to say that it sounds like the duration is typical. Also, here is an interesting article from Dr. Sears regarding a baby's need to suck.
    Kristie L.
    LLL Leader
    (the poster formerly known as fezzik812)
    Wife to Brett, Mommy to Seamus (5.1.05), and Emelie (1.18.08)
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Ghandi

Your little one needs pacifying and there is nothing more soothing than his mommy's breasts. Nothing wrong with that. Nutrition and comfort...one stop shopping!

My 3 week old also nurses 30-45 minutes on both breasts combined. it's exhausting but i'm sure he's not using me as a binky. it just takes him a long time to get all the milk out. I've read they get more efficient when they're older, at least I hope so! my boobies need a break

Quote Originally Posted by RedheadMama26 View Post
    My 3 week old also nurses 30-45 minutes on both breasts combined. it's exhausting but i'm sure he's not using me as a binky. it just takes him a long time to get all the milk out. I've read they get more efficient when they're older, at least I hope so! my boobies need a break
    It IS very tiring to have to sit upright when your are nursing when you are tired. Have you considered investing a little time figuring out how to side-lie while you nurse? I used recieving blankets roled up under the boob to get the nipple the correct hight for the babies mouth. Made a huge difference in how exhausted I felt. I waited until around 3- 4 weeks for that one though.

NYwifey- Your duration looks great. wtg!

Thanks Ladies! I rather not look at my watch, but I started doing it the other day just to get a sense of how he is doing. It sometimes feel like the minute I finish one feed the next one is right around the corner.

I tried the side lying position but it feels awkard. I have to practice some more.

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

are you still having some pain?

i only had some discomfort last week, but it feels my nipples are getting use to nursing. my left sometimes bothers a bit at the beginning of the feed but then it gets better.

I've been rubbing them with breastmilk and have barely use the lanolin cream. I have used soothies gel pads in between feedings which are great so cool the area.

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

I'm glad things are going well!

me too

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com