Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can't seem to get enough to store...

Default Can't seem to get enough to store...

Hi,

I'm getting frustrated here and need some help.

My DS is 5 wks and I go back to work in 2. I'm trying to store up some milk but it's not happening. I have 3oz TOTAL! Every time I get some stored he seems to get all fussy and we give him a bottle of EBM since my night supply stinks.

How can I start storing milk? I am worried since I have a demanding job and don't want to lose my supply. I have trouble pumping during the day b/c DS is high need and I'm alone during the day I can't cuddle him and pump. I can't do it at night b/c my supply is low. Overnight he feeds every 2-3 hours.

I'm going to try power pumping with the hands-free thing for an hour tomorrow while driving DS in the car and keep that up for a few days. Fenugreek tabs didn't help either.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Default Re: Can't seem to get enough to store...

if you can manage to get one good bottle reserved, try drinking a ton of water at night, and pump first thing in the morning, giving him that bottle instead. You should be able to pump nearly twice as much with that first morning pumping as you do any other time of day. So you have one bottle for tomorrow morning (or for emergency at night if your supply is low?) and one to freeze. I started doing that a month before I went back to work and ended up with 25 or so bags of frozen. I pump a couple bottles each morning now and have frozen for growth spurts and reserves. I am lucky and can nurse once during the day, but days that I am not able to I can pump enough from work to replace what she's eaten.

Anyway, just try the morning pumping if you can, and your supply should increase as you get used to pumping at that time.

I would guess the issue with your night supply may be worsened by this habit. If you give him a bottle and don't pump for that "missed" feeding, you're telling your body to make less milk at that time. I would encourage you to add a 10-20 min pump while DH gives your lo the bottle (or after your lo goes to sleep at night). This will cue your body to make more at night.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by ryans_mom View Post
    Hi,

Every time I get some stored he seems to get all fussy and we give him a bottle of EBM since my night supply stinks.
    i would say when he gets fussy, nurse him. IMHO he is going through a growth spurt and is working on your body to make more. best way to make more is to nurse more. try a nursing vacation. i never did get enough to store up.. frozen milk is over rated anyway...like a PP said, if you give your babe a bottle, you need to be pumping to make up for it. i now pump a few times a day to get enough for while i am gone in the day. good luck, you can do it!

Could you try nursing at night? Your production levels may be somewhat slower in the evening, but your breasts or never truly empty. You could try using breast compressions to help your baby take in more milk for his efforts: http://www.kellymom.com/newman/15bre...mpression.html

And here is some information on evening fussiness:
    http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

Remember that once you're at work, you'll be pumping to replace feedings instead of pumping in addition to feedings, so you're likely to yeild more milk then. In the meanwhile, having enough milk on hand for the first day at work and a little extra "just in case" would be sufficient. You might find that you can obtain this milk by pumping a little between feedings several times per day, or pumping on one side while your baby nurses on the other (your hands free device would be helpful for this scenerio).

UPDATE: I called my local LLL leader who chatted with me for a while and was comforting. She said it sounded like a growth spurt. Sure enough, after talking to her he nursed for almost 24 hours straight!

I drank mother's milk tea, pumped a little a couple times, and did massage with success! My supply must have shot up 50%. He's still nursing often (at least 2 1/2 hours), but for the first time I have a freezer stash of 3 feedings in 2 days! I'm also getting different breast shield for the pump to see if that can help.

My goal is 20 feedings stored in 2 weeks b/c I might start work with a 30 hour shift (not a typo) and anticipate decreased supply in response.

It was so nice to TALK to someone who actually BF'd...no one in my family ever did and don't understand at all. In fact, my mom commented how I need to get DS on a schedule since he should be sleeping ON. Umm, he's 5 weeks old! My MIL says he can't be that hungry, he just needs to be walked - umm, I walk miles a day with him, even while feeding. I love them and they are genuinely wonderful women but they don't get it at all.

My DH gets it