Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk supply issues

Default Milk supply issues

I believe I am having some milk suppply issues. I am afraid I am npt producing enough. Latley my baby has become very fussy and we (the ped. and I) can not seem to figure out why. I wonder if I am not making enough mile. She only nurses for about two to three minutes on each side and during that time she is sucking and pulling off over and over again. I tried to pump too see how much I would get but I only got about 1 to 2 ounces and she is four and half months old so I would thinik she would need more than that. Any suggestions on how I can increase my supply? I read the other resources on the website but I didn't know if anyone had any other suggestions. Thanks.

Default Re: Milk supply issues

It sounds like she might be teething. When they start getting teeth it is very painful for them to suck. They keep trying to comfort by sucking and pull away because of the pain. Are her gums starting to turn white or really light? If so that is a sign of teething. Are you pumping? Try emptying your breasts after every feed so that your body makes more. Lastly, it might be something like a nursing strike. My DD went through that at around 3 months old. It dows get better just keep at it

Hi,

Teething sounds like it could be a possibility. You could try giving baby a chilled teether to gum on before nursing to see if that would help.

Also, pump output is not a good indicator of milk supply. Many moms with abundant supplies are never able to pump much. A better indicator is the number of wet/poopy diapers baby has. A healthy, exclusively breastfed baby should be having 6-8 wet cloth diapers (5-6 really wet disposables) and about 2-3 bms per day.

Another thought...have you changed any of your cosmetics lately? Some babys react to new deodorants, perfumes, lotions, etc., that mom wears.

Hang in there,

Tiana

I have a similar issue. My daughter seemed to be nursing okay the first 2 months of life but at her 4 month checkup she had only gained 10 oz. in 2 months. So at 4 months she's only 9lbs 10 oz. And she DOES cry a LOT during the day. A nurse told me since she's sleeping 7-8 hours a night she's trying to make up for it during the day. I was instructed to wake her up at night to nurse and that should increase production. When I get a let down as she's nursing she only gulps for 1-2 minutes.

Would all of you wise mothers agree??

I have had issues also with milk supply lately. I have milk, but when I pump, I don't get very much. Just make sure you're drinking lots of water and eating healthy too. It helps to be relaxed (haha) and your baby will hopefully be able to drink more too. HOpe it goes well. Good luck

Hi there ladies,
    I can hear that some of you are concerned about milk supply. This is a very common concern (as you can tell by others posting!)

Pumping can be very helpful to *increasing* supply, as any time you take out milk you tell your body to make more. So I would certainly suggest that you do pump in between feedings (2 ounces is a very normal amount when pumping!) But as Tiana stated pumping is not very helpful in *indicating* supply. Some moms can feed a baby very well at the breast, but when trying to express milk they just don't get much. Pumping is a learned skill and it works better for some moms than others.

The best pump is your baby. Some ideas that have worked for other moms include:
    *keeping baby nearby all of the time so as not to miss any hunger cues
    *eliminating long periods of sucking on a pacifier to encourage sucking at the breast
    *co-sleeping (It is also helpful for mom to sleep next to the baby with no shirt on, or shirt unbuttoned. This encourages baby to nurse at night. Babies often don't even have to be wakened to nurse. They can and will nurse quite effectively in their sleep!)
    *co-bathing (This is very calming for baby and often babies LOVE to nurse during this time)
    *working with an LLLL or IBCLC to assure that you have covered all of the bases and also that your pump is working properly

As Tiana stated the best indicatior of supply is your baby's output and growth. Average output for a baby older than 6 weeks is 5-6 wet diapers per day. As babies get older some will become less frequent in their stooling, so it is difficult to give an average for bowel movements. Average weight gain for the BF baby is 5-6 oz./week in the first 3-4 months, though some healthy babies may gain more slowly. Weight gain usually slows to 4-5 oz. per week from 4-6 months and 2-4 oz/week from 6-12 months. Remember these are averages. You should always consult with your physician if you are concerned about weight gain or output. You may be able to suggest to him/her some of the ideas I listed here.

As babies get older than can become more distractible. If you find that baby seems distracted during feedings, he may need a more quiet, darkened atmosphere for nursing. It may help to take him into another room and pull the shades for feedings. He just may not be able to turn himself off to outside stimuli. This should go away with time.

As Tiana stated, teething can also become an issue, as could a cold or ear infection.

Here are some resources on milk supply:

HTH!
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/normal.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/lo...tml#supply(not LLL)