Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting sweet foods later?

Default Starting sweet foods later?

There is a new school of thought that suggests starting sweet foods like fruits later and starting veggies first so that your baby will learn to like/aquire a taste for foods that aren't sweet. I see a lot of you are starting early with bananas, apples, or avocado (which isn't sweet, per se, but is fatty with a great texture.) It makes sense that babies would like to eat those things.
    I will be starting solids with my DS soon, and he's my first. I feel my parents gave me awful eating habits. I could totally eat brownies and cake for breakfast and I have a major sweet tooth, along with many other horrible habits! I don't want my son to have the same issues. I realize I need to set an example for him by eating healthy myself. That is not my question. My questions are
    1. If you tried foods like peas or beans first, would your kiddo even eat them? What happened?
    2. In your experiece with your older children, did giving non-sweet foods first help encourage healthier eating habits later?
    Thanks in advance for your help!!

Default Re: Starting sweet foods later?

Katie- Hi! I started aaron with Squash which is a bit sweet, but then moved to green beans and peas. I didn't start bananas, apricots or anything like that until after the others were introduced. Aaron loves everything I've given him except peaches, which I think is just a personal preference on his part.

I don't have any other LO's and I know you didn't ask for everyone's experiences growing up, but FWIW- my mom never had sugar in the house... I didn't get to have any except once every couple of weeks I could have a Pepsi. At least until I was in high school we just never had anything like that around. And onceI got out of the house, I went crazy! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE sugar cereals, ice cream, cake, brownies for breakfast- you name it! Perhaps there's a happy medium that people strike to make it not such a habit, but not such a huge treat like it was for me, either?

I started my son on banana, then sweet potato, pear, peas, squash, green beans and peaches. So far, he actually likes peas the best! Surprised me. I don't think it makes much difference whether you introduce sweet foods first - breastmilk is really sweet, so if babies are going to refuse non-sweet things, they're tastebuds have already been spoiled!

Although it seems logical that starting with sweeter foods first might make babies acquire a sweet tooth, I've also heard that this is a myth. The first food my son would eat was butternut squash, which is slightly sweet. But, now that he eats many, many things he absolutely prefers veggies. When I introduce a new fruit it takes lots of patience and food on the floor (over a few days) to get him into it. With veggies, he generally takes right to it. His favorite fruits are watermelon and banana, but he goes crazy for the squash and broccoli. Every kid is different!
    But, also wanted to add... kudos to you for having your son's eating habits in mind the way you do. I'm going to try and find a balance between treats and nutritious foods so that he never feels like he has to "go crazy" like mom of Aaron mentioned. It would be like the parents who are strictest with their children who don't know how to make it on their own (like my friend in high school who's parents were uber strict- she was pregnant by second semester of college). Eating habits are a very large part of the reason we're staying away from licensed characters on toys, clothes etc. because those characters are on the boxes for the least healthy food at the store and fast food "happy meals". If he doesn't know about or care about the characters, I'm hoping he won't notice those foods so much.

Breastmilk is sweet. Starting with sweet foods first should make no difference either way... if one is concerned with their little ones future eating habits... setting a good example is the best thing you can do! If its not in the house, they can't eat it..

Here's a link on the first foods & sweet foods "issue"

here's an exerpt from that page:
    Moms are often told that vegetables should be introduced before fruits "so baby doesn't develop a sweet tooth." Keep in mind that breastmilk is quite sweet! Some experts suggest that fruit may be a good first food for a breastfed baby since the taste is closer to that of breastmilk - baby may be more likely to enjoy this new and novel experience if the taste isn't so unfamiliar. Also, since birth baby has been tasting different flavors as they are passed through into mom's milk - many feel that this ever-changing flavor of breastmilk is likely to make breastfed babies more likely to enjoy the varying tastes of solids and less likely to be picky eaters in the long run.

FWIW I have 2 older kids who have a well rounded diet due to everything we offer. THey are learning good habits from us.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

We started with sweet potatoe. Then bananas. I alternated with fruit and veggie when it was time to introduce a new food. So far, his favorite is also peas. Although, yesterday he tried avacado for the first time and he ate a whole half. Good luck.
    Mama to Andrew 6-20-06
    My angel in heaven, Benjamin William 11-2-07 to 11-5-07
    Kaitlyn 6-12-09

We started my first son on veggies first (for that very reason)--he's now four and will only eat three veggies (carrots, broccoli, and brussel sprouts, but hey, that's something anyway)--he loves all fruit and has a wicked sweet tooth. So that whole thing backfired on us. We really only offer dessert occasionally and limit sugar at mealtimes (i.e. no jelly in his pb sandwich, no sugared cereals, no syrup on pancakes--only butter). We try to lead by example--eat healthy, but not make junk food taboo--it is an occasional treat. Everything in moderation, right .

BTW, as a baby, he ate everything we offered with gusto (except bananas because of the texture). And then he turned into the world's pickiest eater at about 14 months--so you never know. Thankfully, he's gotten much better this past year, and will try a larger variety of foods.

Angela

Im just like you w/ my own eating habits so i too want to make a difference for my lo....
    like other pps have said, bm is sweet, so i dont worry about fruits...my ds eats fruits equally as well veggies
    here is our school of thought and what we strive to do....(i read it in dr sears baby book)
    we are going to really try not to give ds anything processed or enriched....if he starts off on whole grain bread, he will think white bread is gross.....we dont let anyone give him tastes of icecream....coolwhip....chocolate.... (not even inlaws as dh is very much on board with this plan now)
    for the first 3 years fruits will be his 'candy'
    now, will he be that wierd kid at the birthday party who cant have cake? no, he will have it, but probably wont eat very much more than a few tastes because it will be so rich tasting or hopefully odd tasting and he will jsut be turned off by it....
    they dont know what they are missing....i think my mom tried to fill me up with candy to make me happy and shut me up...it was easier than dealing with me!!
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

I started all mine on fruit first and have not noticed any difference. It's not really what they are first introduced to that will shape their eating habits, it's what they see you eat and what you feed them over the course of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Blessedbee View Post
    I ..i think my mom tried to fill me up with candy to make me happy and shut me up...it was easier than dealing with me!!
    I know thats why my mom did it! *lol Ill still shut up if someone hands me m&ms They potty trained me with m&ms!!! they even had a bowl on the back of the toildet and if Id go I'd get some! think of it.. on the back of the toilet. :
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.