Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Did I scald my EBM correctly?

Default Did I scald my EBM correctly?

I discovered recently that I have the dreaded excessive lipase problem, so my precious freezer stash must be thrown out. A couple of days ago (thanks to the very helpful advice on this forum) I scalded a batch of BM to freeze. I'm not sure I did it correctly though -- I could see steam rising, tiny bubbles formed at the top of the milk (not the sides of the saucepan) and there was a skin starting to form around the sides of the pan before I cooled it. I immediately poured the milk into a Lansinoh bag and placed it in the fridge to cool. Today I can see the milk fat starting to collect in the bag. Is this supposed to happen? For some reason I had thought that the fat shouldn't separate, just like pasteurized milk. Any answers would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: Did I scald my EBM correctly?

fat in cows milk is sepreated at high speed..special equipment.
    Your scalded milk will still seperate its fine as long as it doesn't taste bad after freezing. just gently swirl it back together before a feed.

Thank you!

I have excess lipase too and have been scalding my milk for months. The best way to make sure to reach the desired temps is to use an instant read thermometer. They're inexpensive and very easy to use.

Also, my milk seperates into the fat layers, I'm sure everyone else's does too in the bags. I have found that if I thaw the milk under high temp water while in the bags the fat thaws before the rest of the milk and turns 'oily' while the milk is warm as if there were melted butter on top of the milk. If I set the bags out on the counter to thaw then it doesn't do that.

HTH

My Little Reverse Cyclers
    *DS born July 2006, nursed 3 yrs 10 mos!
    *DD born January 2011, happily nursing and bucking the bottle just like big brother
    *One Angel baby we sadly never met July 2009

Happily married to an amazing man who puts up with all my craziness since 1999.

To scald it is best to reach 160 degrees for 15 seconds.

There is a difference between pasteurization and scalding (scalding involves lower temps). That being said, I think you were talking about homogenization (the process by which cow's milk stays together instead of separating into milk and cream). This process is done by actually exploding the fat globules of the milk (really!). So, yes, even after you scald the milk, the milk will separate into milk and cream (hindmilk).

As an aside, a dairy near me offers un-homogenized milk. (It is still pasteurized, of course.) Their slogan is "Where the cream still rises to the top".