Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: NO more Milk for Daycare

Unhappy NO more Milk for Daycare

I officially used all my freezer stack. After my second period my supply went down while pumping. Today I just got 4 oz the whole day (Three pumping sessions). With my job I cannot pump more than 3 times a day. What should I do. My baby still nurses at night 3 to 4 times from 7:00pm to 6:00am.
    I am going to start sending formula to daycare tomorrow for the first time in 6 months. (DS is 6 Months)
    Just the thought of buying formula is making me very sad, but my baby has to eat...Right?

Default Re: NO more Milk for Daycare

Have you spoke with your doctor about other ways to increase milk production?

But, if these don't work for you, 6 months of breastfeeding is still great, but then, you still have milk for night-time feeding. Pat yourself on your back, you did more for your tot than most mommy's do regarding BF.

....and if it makes you feel better, I only plan to BF for 6-8 months.

I'm in the same boat, but my daughter's only 4 months old. I never had a sizeable freezer stash. When I pump (4x/day), I barely get what she takes at daycare- usually they have to give her about 2 oz of formula. Today though she started a growth spurt - she used all I sent in the first 4 hours!! Aside from taking a week of leave to build my supply back up, there's really not a lot I can do at work to increase my supply. I drink the tea, take the vitamins, pump after I run dry, pump 4 times, etc etc. But it doesn't really help too much.
    The bright side is you can continue to breastfeed at night! I do, and I don't have supply issues then (knock on wood). Your baby is still getting the benefits of breastmilk, and you're doing the very best you can. That's all you can do, so let yourself off the hook and be proud of your accomplishment!!!

any soilds? SOmetimes at 6 months you can add some good for you solids to replace pumped milk at day care.. Bananna and sweet potato high calorie solids not rice cereal. Don't feal bad I had to give my oldest formula when I went back to school. I didn't know anything about LLL or pumping. He got formula when we were apart and nursed when we were together.

He's already taking some solids. Sweet potatoes, squash, carrots, green beans, peas, bananas, pears and apple sauce.
    He's a long kid not fat, 25 inches and 18 pounds. He's eating twice a day, onevegetable 4 oz and one fruit 4 oz. Should i be introducing cereal?

nope I wouldn't do cereal its empty calories..

is he doing the solids at day care? Then he could just nurse when with you?

I just returned to work and am starting to face this reality myself, as I don't always pump enough for the next day (and have had probs w/freezer stash I won't go into here). I remind myself that formula is not poison and I would much rather ds had it than go hungry. Don't beat yourself up; you are doing great.