Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Ouch!

Default Ouch!

DS is 12 1/2 months old and I suddenly got what seems to be a plugged duct on the Left side. What is really strange is that I have never had one of these before, but it's swollen, feels sore all the time, especially when I try to massage it down. It totally feels like a filled balloon inside my breast. This is so weird, I never thought I'd get one of these (with this baby, anyway). Any tips? I tried to take a warm shower, have a hot water bottle on it right now and am trying to massage it towards the nipple while DS nurses

Default Re: Ouch!

Sounds like you're doing the right thing. I used to get these all the time. I notice that mine go away within 24-48 hours. The other tips I have is to nurse often (even start on the affected side) to really drain it well, and to try different positions, also loosen your bra, or change to a different style if you have another kind (to put less pressure on it), although the most important thing is to nurse often, and wait it out. If you get other symptoms then you may need to look into if its mastitis, but it sounds like just a plugged duct to me. Hang in there and it will be gone soon. Oh and try to rest as much as you can. often I get a plugged duct if I am doing too much- LOL we ARE mommies however.
    Last edited by Nola; February 6th, 2007 at 06:28 PM. Reason: add

I put a warm wash cloth with a warm rice sack on the breast for 10 minutes before nursing. I've also found they go away in 24-48 hours. When it does go away, it will be better in a matter of minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by jentut View Post
    When it does go away, it will be better in a matter of minutes.
    Thanks for that information. I was not seeing it on any other thread I was looking through. It is still quite sore, but does not feel QUITE as bad. It's hard though to suddenly start managing the nursing session as DS is quite accustomed to making all the decisions himself (which breast, when to switch, what position, etc)

I had my 1st one late in the game also (I think DD was either 10 or 11 months old). I did the same things with no real help to getting it solved. What did finally work was getting her to nurse nurse nurse on that side over and over again (starting out on that side, then switching to the other). Also I woke her up 3-4 times a night to get it taken care of also. I believe it was cleared up in 48 hours....HTH

Okay, it's really gone now, what a relief! I wanted to comment that what finally helped was actually not the frequent nursings, but the nursing session right after his longest period of sleep -- so he was really sucking hard for that, I felt a sharp twinge and afterward, most of the swelling was gone. The rest cleared out after that same nursing session last night.