Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going back to work, pumping dilemma

Question Going back to work, pumping dilemma

Hi, ladies! I'm a new mommy (she'll be six weeks on Friday!) and a new poster (this is my 1st LLL post ever- yay!).
    My dilemma is this: For financial reasons, I have no choice but to go back to work. Right now I am only working part-time, but I am hoping to start a full-time job soon. I have purchased and started using the Medela Swing, but it is a single pump and takes forever. I would like to pump at work to keep my supply up, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep up with my baby's demands with the short breaks allowed at work and only a single pump.
    I really really really don't want to give her formula while I'm gone, but I also really really really can't afford a double pump right now.
    Any suggestions?
    Oh, and I've started pumping and storing a little bit to help build up a supply for her, and we have established that she will take a bottle.
    Thanks a lot!!

Default Re: Going back to work, pumping dilemma

I've seen some posters state their insurance covered the cost of a new pump. Have you checked with your provider?

No insurance...

call the wic office.. they have pumps they give out to working moms.
    renting might be another option its cheaper then a month of formula.
    Call your local lll leader she can help! We have wonderful LLL Leaders here in Ohio!

Gosh I would explore all options to try to get a double pump if you can. But also, will you be able to nurse your child at all during the day? Because I have my day care pretty near by, I am able to visit my baby at lunch and nurse her. After the first month or so of pumping at work, I have gotten so I pump only once in the morning before work, from which I get two bottles for her to have at daycare. Between that and the nursing mid-day, supply has been fine and she is fat and healthy in the 75th percentile.

If you can't nurse your little one at lunch, perhaps you can alternate breasts for your pumping sessions or something?