Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My baby is 3 weeks today!!!

Default My baby is 3 weeks today!!! I am new here also!

OK the story is this is my third baby. The first baby i had no help and he ended up with reflux and with no help or friends in the same department. I ended up FF him. The second child I had a doula that happened to be a LC also so she was helping me we ended up pumping every three hours on tomp of nursing every 2 hours. I took fenegreke and I had mothers milk tea a herb I can not remember the name of it but remember it tasted nasty and you had to down it and almost chase it with something if i remember right. well after 2 weeks it was so emotionally draining on me and I was so up set about it I was getting depressed about it and felt so bad because we put so much money into it I felt bad for my DH because of this. So I was feeling bad for quiting and then did not want to quit because of this. Dh and I talked about and decieded it was better for my health and for the family if I did what was best. the LC said it seems to her i had a gland that was missing the one that told the rest of your glands to make more milk that it was missing. Well with this 3rd child we said we would try. We tried for two days in the hospital and then DH and I talked about it until about 10 pm in the hospital so we ened up FF for a whole day and when I got home, the next day I started leaking and Dh said that you can always offer for a comfort nursing. So I did and if the baby still seemed hungry I would give him a bottle. Well I feed off what I call the bad side it is much smaller than the other and hard to get to. He feeds off both breast and the right makes alot more milk. So when I pump I can get a oz that is if I skip a nursing but if I nurse and pump later I get half a oz on that right side and none on bad side. Now when it comers to the bottle sometimes he wants it and sometimes he does not and others he ony eats half a oz others 1 oz sometimes the whole 2 oz after the nursing. He has been eating every 2-3 hours during the day mainly 3 hours. night time is more like every 5 hours is this ok or should I aim for every 2 hours i hate waking him but if IO wait long enough he will wake at 3 hours. as far as nursing his main meal is the right breast the left he will nurse at least 5 min and then fusss so ba. I usually start a nursing session on the bad side and then when he is fussy like that I go to the good side and when he is done with the good side (lets go by himself ) I go back to the bad side and depending on how fussy and the hungry cues I give him his bottle. Any input or suggestions?
    Last edited by amydavid; March 27th, 2006 at 02:42 PM.

Default Re: My baby is 3 weeks today!!!

Hello Amy.
    Congratulation on the birth of your baby.
    I was a bit confused when I read your story.
    How the LC came to the conclusion that you are missing a gland? Is she a doctor? That seems rather odd that she would say that without testing that a doctor would do.

Anyways, it sounds like you were talking with your husband on day two and just decided to formula feed. Is that correct? But when your milk came in you decided to breast feed?
    I think it is great that you decided to breastfeed at least part of the time, because every bit of breastmilk that your baby gets has incredible health benefits for your baby.
    The breastfeeding that you do has benefits for you as well.

You mentioned about one breast being smaller and harder to get to.
    I was wondering if you meant that you have more difficulty latching the baby on that side.
    Many women have a more difficult time at first latching baby on the side of dominance. Meaning if you are left handed, to latch baby on the left side is tricky at first because you are using your non dominant hand to get baby adjusted.

With nursing being a supply and demand system, as you are more comfortable getting baby latched on the trickier side, then more nursing will take place on that side and the breast will produce more milk and sometimes size.

I found that using pillows and finding a comfortable spot were key in getting my children latched on my right side.
    After a few weeks I found it was just as easy to latch my babies on either side.

As for giving baby formula after nursing, if you are wanting to eventually not use the formula you can try switch nursing to increase supply.
    This is nursing on one side, then a few minutes after your let down, switching to the other side and again a few minutes after the let down switch back to the other side and again after a few minutes switch back to the other side.
    It starts to send a message to your body that baby is going to want more milk. It also will keep baby interested in nursing for longer.
    Of course use your judgement because some babies get royally annoyed by switching, others think it is the greatest thing.
    It is definately worth trying.

Only 20% of the breastmilk taken during a feeding is waiting around in the breast. Most of the milk during a feeding is made while baby is breastfeeding.
    So the longer your baby feeds or the more often your baby feeds, the more milk that will be made.

Size of your breasts doesn't mean much in regards to milk supply. Your smaller breast can make just as much milk as the other so long as it is getting nursed on.(stimulation)

The important thing to remember is that if your baby has been receiving a substantial portion of daily feeding from formula and your goal is to fully nurse your baby, you MUST make a transition to full breast feeding.
    It takes awhile to build up the supply needed to fully breast feed your baby.

You could conside an SNS system where the formula supplement is given through a tube system while the baby is actually brestfeeding. The baby will stimulate the breast for longer because the formula comes out very slowly while they are nursing.
    It is best to be under the guidance of a local LLLLeader during this time.
    or an LC but my gut instinct(because I don't know the whole situation) is that for an LC to tell you are missing a gland, seems odd. I would go with a different LC.
    But LLLLeaders are free!!

You can also reduce the amount of formual Slowly over the course of a few weeks (or days if baby is only receiving a very small amount) so your body can adjust to making more milk.

Some women do use herbs to increase supply, but that is not the norm.

One last thought I weanted to include.
    During the first few days after birth, collostrum comes out at this tiny amount. Like the size of a quarter over an hour.
    Now this is the way it was designed.
    Babies nurse like crazy to get the milk to come in sooner. The milk normally comes in around day 3 for many women. Sometimes day 2 or 4 even 5 for some women.
    I got the feling (and I could be wrong) that you may have felt like you didn't have enough milk vbecause baby was nursing like a fool. But all babies are nursing fools till the milk comes in.
    Some babies nurse every hour for the first few days and that is okay.
    Each baby has its own level of nursing need(sucking need) .
    I got the impression that maybe you decided against nursing on day two because you had nursed for two days and (my inference here) that if baby was nursing like a fool that you felt you didn't have enough milk and would need to repeat the cycle you had taken previously. (pumping, herbs, tons of time and money)

Anyways, I just want you to know that any nursing you do is fantastic! I applaud you for nursing after you previous experience. I want you to know that if you wanted to, your baby is young enough to get back to full nursing if you wanted to, probably without too much trouble.

Congratualtions again!

LC but my gut instinct(because I don't know the whole situation) is that for an LC to tell you are missing a gland, seems odd. I would go with a different LC.
    THis was just our guess nothing medical I did get my thyroids test and all. On the second child I went 3 weeks and still no milk, the baby was hungry. LOL

You mentioned about one breast being smaller and harder to get to.
    I was wondering if you meant that you have more difficulty latching the baby on that side.
    Many women have a more difficult time at first latching baby on the side of dominance. Meaning if you are left handed, to latch baby on the left side is tricky at first because you are using your non dominant hand to get baby adjusted.

I really do not have a latching problem but the thing about being right handed might be true.

Anyways, it sounds like you were talking with your husband on day two and just decided to formula feed. Is that correct? But when your milk came in you decided to breast feed?
    On this we were weighing the fact of having two kids and all the emotions I had with trying the last time that maybe this was best. I feel that taking that stress off of me helped me relax more and milk just came in then. were as with the other two I stress about something with BF all the time. I am beginging to believe RELAXING is a big key to a good start also.

As for giving baby formula after nursing, if you are wanting to eventually not use the formula you can try switch nursing to increase supply.
    This is nursing on one side, then a few minutes after your let down, switching to the other side and again a few minutes after the let down switch back to the other side and again after a few minutes switch back to the other side.
    It starts to send a message to your body that baby is going to want more milk. It also will keep baby interested in nursing for longer.

I BF feed him first and do not offer a bottle untill he lets go himself and has been offered both breast and then when he fusses and pushes himself off and is still acting hungry. Sometimes there is no bottle after wards, sometimes there is. I am going by his cue really. I also pump after some feedings really do not get anything out of right side maybe a half oz out of left side, now I was out and skipped a feeding would pump and get a oz that time that has been only once so far.

Thanks so much for reply feels good to have a reply and know that what I am doing is not bad. That I am getting some were this time.

Sometimes just to get him to calm down after being so fussy I will put him to the bad side and it will calm him right to sleep.

Sorry my post was unclear trying to nurse and type one handed and hold a 2 year old LOL

I think you are completely right in saying that needing to be able to relax is important.

It is wonderful that you can listen to your baby's cues and needs.

Remember that you are making more milk than you pump.
    A baby is very good at extracting milk.
    It is also much easier to relax to a letdown for your baby than a pump.

I have met many women that can get used to a pump and have a good letdown, but I was never able to.
    I always had better luck with hand expressing milk when need be.

Wishing you the best.