Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: zyrtec

Default zyrtec

I have a really bad upper respiratory infection and my dr said this might help me sleep, but I see it passes through breastmilk. My DS (26 mons) only nurses at night - sometimes just once (if I leave him alone with his dad which I probably will do). Should I not chance it?

I am also taking Amox which appears to be fine.

thanks,
    Lisa

Default Re: zyrtec

According to Dr Hale - Zyrtec is compatable with breastfeeding.
    Zyrtec is also generally considered to be compatible with breastfeeding. It is commonly used by nursing moms, although its levels in milk are not known. Hale rates Zyrtec in the lactation risk catagory L2 (safer).
    I am just curious, what symptom are you trying to eleviate?
    Feel better fast!!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

My dr thought it might help clear me up and help me sleep. I can't take a regular decongestant. I didn't see it on Kelly Mom so and when I googled it said it shows up in breastmilk and it is even on the bottle!

It was expensive! Didn't appear to be covered by insurance. Had I known, I wouldn't have bothered.

Quote Originally Posted by lisa1124 View Post
    My dr thought it might help clear me up and help me sleep. I can't take a regular decongestant. I didn't see it on Kelly Mom so and when I googled it said it shows up in breastmilk and it is even on the bottle!

It was expensive! Didn't appear to be covered by insurance. Had I known, I wouldn't have bothered.
    If you click on the link I gave and look under antihistamines, it is there.

Yes it is found in BM - almost everything one ingests will be - the issue becomes how much is even transferred. Dr Thomas Hale is a renowned doctor that deals specifically with this issue (see here) and mostly his research led to the info found on the kellymom page.

Good luck - you can always give your childs ped a ring to get their take on it as well.
    Last edited by Number3; February 7th, 2007 at 01:37 AM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

my doctor changed my allergy medicine because he did not want me to breastfeed while taking Zyrtec. he said that it was classified as something that probably was safe while breastfeeding, but he based his decision on the fact that they do not recommed prescribing Zyrtec for children until they are 13 (i think that was the age) He switched me to a medicine that is prescribed for younger children as well. i would call your lo's doctor to be sure it is ok.

thats a thoughtful doc!!!!!! wish we all had access to one like that!

Eleanor Roosevelt

Emerson

My SIL has given Zyrtec to ds1 since he was 6 mos, which is when his allergies started. It was also when she quit nursing him. Hmmm...