Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night Nursing at 13 months - what's normal?

Default Night Nursing at 13 months - what's normal?

My 13 month old often nurses at night quite a bit. When he sleeps well, he only nurses 2 times a night. But other times he nurses almost every 2 hours (like 1, 3, and 5). He wakes up fussing (never opens eyes) but is making fussing, wimpering sounds. I"m wondering if maybe he is nursing because he is uncomfortable. What are other's experiences?

Thanks!

Default Re: Night Nursing at 13 months - what's normal?

My DS nursed 2-3 times at night, too, when he was 13 months old. That sounds pretty normal to me.

Is it possible that your LO isn't fully awake?

Lisa

Are you co-sleeping or is your ds sleeping in his crib?
    Babies can wimper and fuss in their sleep and maybe if you just pat his butt a little bit and let him know you're there, he'll drift back off to sleep. I don't think your ds is wimpering or fussing because he's uncomfortable, and he may still be asleep and not even know he's doing it. Maybe he just wants the comfort of his mommy which is okay of course, but you need to decide how long you want to nurse your ds through the night. I don't know what's "normal" per se, but for me, at 13 months, I would not want to be getting up 2-3 times a night anymore to nurse and something would have to give.

I always recommend the book The No Cry Sleep Solution because it's awesome and will help you a lot. I got it at my local library instead of purchasing it. Maybe reading it will give you some tips to help your ds sleep through the night whether you are co-sleeping or not.

When my almost 15 month old dd wakes up in the middle of the night, I have a sippy cup of water handy and I comfort her and get her back to sleep. I do not nurse her anymore in the middle of the night. She's really so "out of it" that she isn't even aware of her surroundings... she just awakens and needs a hug or pat on the butt (or sip of water) to drift back off to sleep.

HTH and good luck!

I'm in the same boat as you are...my 12 mth old ds and I co-sleep and he nurses often during the night...sometimes I'm not sure how many times b/c I'm not fully awake..I just let him latch on and go back to sleep. He also whimpers and fusses and sometimes I will pat him or rub his back to see if he will go back to sleep...sometimes he does sometimes he doesn't and will nurse back to sleep. I think it just depends on what you are comfortable with..as long as you are okay with how many times LO is nursing than it is normal. My ds goes to day care all day so I consider that my "8 hours" of no nursing instead of during the night. So it's just whatever works for you. And by the way, way to go on 13 months of nursing!!

I'm in the same situation and I believe the frequent nursing is very normal. DS has been night nursing more frequent lately, sometimes 3-4X's. I've been giving him more solids lately, so he's wanted to nurse less during the day, about 3-4 times and I think he maybe trying to compensate. Logically,it was all I could think of.

We've discussed this topic at meetings, and I assure you, you are not alone! Watching my own two kids (ages 10 and 4, now, with the 4 yo still nursing some) and the children of the moms in my Group, I think that between 12 and 18 or even 24 months the children are making huge mental and physical changes. Babies grow fastest in the first year, but around 12 months they are walking or trying to walk, experimenting more with food, more interested and involved with the world.

OK, what I'm trying to say is, it may be that your child is hitting major milestones, which seems to make children more wakeful at night. Also, he may not have time to nurse as much during the day (I'll bet he's busy!) so he's making up for it at night. I've noticed with both my kids that we will go through periods of nighttime fussiness, and afterwards they will complete a major accomplishment (learning to walk, learning to run, learning to read....). It's only obvious after the fact, and I see it continuing as they get older. He might not nurse, but a 5 yo can still need you during the night. Neither of my kids consistently "slept through the night" until they were around 2 years old. This too shall pass.

I've had to discipline myself to not stay up too late. If I have a reasonable amount of sleep, I can handle night waking much better (I don't resent it as much and I'm less grumpy the next day). If the waking is really bothering me, I try to change other factors-- get the child in the fresh air and sunshine early in the day to run off energy and "set" his body clock, nurse enough during the day, take a nap myself during the child's nap, try distraction during the night (patting child's bottom, or explaining that mommy milk is asleep until the sun comes up; here, would you like a drink of water?) etc.

I second the "way to go" for nursing for 13 months! In a few years you will miss snuggling that little body at night-- it really does go quickly!

Dawn

I am still frequently nursing my 13 month old (gosh, she's almost 14 months ). I want to know at what age those babies that nursed that frequently at this age started to sleep longer stretches. Just not sure she will ever stop wanting to nurse at night . Sorry to sort of hijack this thread, but for all you mothers out there, will they ever sleep longer stretches without "intervention" and when?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

My DD is 17 months old and she has been nursing twice per night (really in the wee morning hours). At 13 months, I believe she was nursing about 2-3 times per night, but sometimes she goes through stretches where it's more than that, because she is fighting off illness or teething or something.
    We also don't nurse much (I work outside the home) during the day so this works for us. I think it is normal.
    Erin, I don't think I can really answer your question, but my DD usually sleeps for a 6+ hour stretch when she first goes down for the night (we don't usually co-sleep). A month or so ago, she was waking only once per night to BF, but for the past few weeks she been dealing witha persistent cold so I think that's why she's increased again. I don't know if that's helpful at all.

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

Thanks for all the repsonses. It's very helpful. We are co-sleeping. If he nurses 2x a night, I'm ok with that. I feel I still get a good night sleep. More than that, and I'm tired. But now that I'm thinking about it, it does seem to go in waves - he'll be nursing about 2x a night, then really frequently for a while, then back to about 2x. Just when I'm thinking "I can't do this anymore, I need more sleep", he seems to settle down.

Thanks for the congrats! We've had our issues to work through (e.g, we are both on a no dairy, no soy diet), but I'm so glad it's worked out. I love having this connection with him. And he just got his first cold recently. I credit the nursing with keeping him healthy his first year.

My in-laws ask every time we visit, or I talk to them, if he's sleeping through the night yet. They seem shocked he's not and keep telling me "he should be". How do others answer this and the "how long will you be nursing" question?

For some fun and thought-provoking "comebacks", I like the article titled "What can you say when they say..." on Diane Wiessinger's Common Sense Breastfeeding site:
    http://www.wiessinger.baka.com/bfing/index.html

Dawn