Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sleeping in Crib

Default Re: Sleeping in Crib

You baby is telling you that she needs to be close to you! I'm a big fan of (safe) co-sleeping and luckily have a husband who can sleep through anything. It's unnatural for human babies who are so immature (compared to other mammals) to be put in a room all by themselves and be expected to be OK. If you're not comfortable with baby in your bed, try a bassinet or co-sleeper that attaches to the side of the bed. Maybe she'd sleep on her own surface knowing you're right next to her?

Also, Dr. Sears says babies first enter light sleep for about 20 minutes before falling into deep sleep. So, if you try to lay a baby down when he/she is in this light sleep stage, they often wake up. You may need to hold your baby longer before lying her down. Look for her arms to be just dead weight when you lift them up and let them drop as a sign she's entered the deep sleep state.

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

I am SO afraid of co-sleeping LOL So we have our LO in a bassinet beside the bed. However, she kept waking up as soon as she went down, we raised the head of her matress with towels underneath to make an angle, between that and the womb sounds bear it's working wonders. I keep her swaddled during the day for naps and it works like a charm, but at night she ALWAYS gets out, and dont ask me how LOL or what the difference between night and day is LOL Hopefully you will find something that works for you!!!

I felt the same way about my LO. He's 9 weeks old now and starts off in the bassinett next to us and ends up in bed with us somewhere in the early early AM.

I was SO scared to "spoil" him. But he ended up getting rocked to sleep for every nap and bed. Eventually I tried putting him down awake, and he went down! Sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't. I figure, he'll do it on his own when he's ready!! I usually try for most naps and bed, but don't push the issue if he cries.

I came to the conclusion that for 9 months they were "spoiled" in the womb. When I walked, he was rocked to sleep. So rocking is not a habit we form, its already a need that he had.

And I keep telling myself what I heard over and over but never accepted: "No mother ever looks back and says, 'I wish I held him less.'".

Lyn
    Last edited by @llli*danlynclark; February 6th, 2007 at 04:20 PM.

My LO had trouble sleeping in his co-sleeper when we first brought him home. I found that I enjoyed him sleeping with me. Now we are working our way towards sleeping all night in the co-sleeper. First, I would take a heating pad and stick it in the co-sleeper on low or medium while I nursed him in bed. When he was asleep from nursing, I would remove the heating pad from the cosleeper and put him on the warm sheets... I think the move from my warm body to the cold sheets of the cosleeper woke him up. Worked like a charm. Now at 8 weeks he is starting to sleep 5 - 7 hours in the co sleeper. I put him in his crib for naps now, he used to nap on a pillow next to me on the couch while I worked or was on the forum, he will also sleep in his bouncy but every once in awhile (like today) he gets fussy and wants to sleep on me or next to me.

My cousin has a 10 WO and he wouldn't sleep but on her, so she wore her robe to bed and tied the tie around him to keep him on her (sort of like a make shift baby wrap) and slept on her back with the baby on top of her... he wouldn't even co-sleep in the bed.

I think that the secret in the first three months is to rememeber that they are so small and scared and unsure of what is going on you just have to find what makes them comfortable at that moment and go with it. Mine changes from day to day. But as long as we are all sleeping and smiling than I figure we are fine.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Allyizhere View Post
    My cousin has a 10 WO and he wouldn't sleep but on her, so she wore her robe to bed and tied the tie around him to keep him on her (sort of like a make shift baby wrap) and slept on her back with the baby on top of her... he wouldn't even co-sleep in the bed.

That is so funny ! I often slept with DS on me but never thought about doing that.
    C:\Documents and Settings\David Lawrence\My Documents\My Pictures\DSC00970.jpg
    Mommy to Alexander
    Born Oct 6,2006

I need advice on how to get 8wk old DS to sleep in crib as well. I've tried putting him him there while sleepy but awake. Gave it 5 tries, didn't work. I haven't been sucessful with swaddling but maybe I'll try several more times. Advice from sucessful moms much appreciated.

Make a routine for naps and bedtime. For example, a bedtime routine might be to give a bath, read a book or two, sing a few songs, nurse him, and rock him until he's just about asleep and then transfer to crib. If he awakens, you may get by with just a pat on the butt and a quiet song or you may need to pick him up again and love on him and rock him and try again. It takes time, but if you can get a consistent routine established then he will associate these things with sleeping and things will go much smoother. It takes time though...sometimes weeks or months and you need to be patient, but it will pay off in the long run because your lo will have good sleeping habits and everyone will be well rested.

Try swaddling her. It's worked for my 11 day old. He's fussy at first but then falls asleep. If after I feed him he's fussy I just let him suck on my pinky and he usually falls asleep. Also wait until your little one is close to being asleep before putting her down.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Also, she's only 8 days from having come from that cozy place in your body A crib probably appears to big for her right now. Try buying a co-sleeper or a bassinet to keep her close to you.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Oh....8 DAYS! When I read it my brain read 8 WEEKS.
    In that case, a bassinet or co-sleeper or using a sling or wrap would be the way to go as the above poster said. All my babies (even the older ones who didn't sleep with us) all started out in bassinets for the first couple months before we transfered them to a crib. We also held them a whole lot and let them sleep on us (this is where the sling or wrap would come in handy).