Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping in Crib

Default Sleeping in Crib

I don't know if this is at all related to BF or not, but my 8 day old daughter will not sleep in her crib. She will only sleep if being held - she likes the body heat it seems. She feeds great. It's an average of 1hr to 3 hrs. The problem is she won't sleep; therefore, I don't get to sleep. If she falls asleep on me and I put her down, within 5-10 minutes she'll wake herself up and realize where she is and cry. She also seems to have a lot of gas. That wakes her up as well or she constantly kicks herself awake.

Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?

Thank you in advance!

Default Re: Sleeping in Crib

This sounds exactly like my daughter. Here is what has worked for us:
    Get her all swaddled up (so she can't kick herself awake!) with a fresh diaper on, give her a gas drop (infant Mylecon), and let her fall asleep on you. Don't take her to her crib until you're sure she's really "out." If/when she wakes up, we go back in and rub her back and lean down really close to her until she closes her eyes again. We also turn on the "fishies" on her crib (the Fisher Price Ocean Wonders thing....she loves the music and watching the lights) and that usually helps calm her back down.
    We usually have to go back in 2 or 3 times until she's finally really out. Hope that helps some! Good luck

My LO is 4 months and 2 weeks and slept in her crib for the first time last night - only for 4 hours but hey, it is a start! My girl would only sleep in her car seat for the first month of life. We would put the car seat in the crib and she was fine. Then, we bought a cradle swing (Ocean Wonders Aquarium Cradle Swing http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...entPage=family) and it has really helped us out. She now will sleep in her care seat (unless she is in a car), in her cradle swing, on a bouncer! You can also take her to bed with you - I do that when she gets fussy!. Just try things out and do what works for you but yes...you need sleep too!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk

We had the exact same problem with my DS. For the first while I held him in my arms most of the night. Then I tried cosleeping which worked for a while. He was very noisey in the bed which hubby got frustrated about and I was not getting much sleep because he wanted to nurse all night long. Then what I did was put his papasan chair on my king size bed. I had it very secure on the bed so it was safe. He slept longer periods in it because I believe it forms to his body more. Also it kept him more upright because I noticed he woke often due to spitting up. All of a sudden a few days ago I layed him in his cosleeper crib at night and he slept from 7pm to 6am!!! I was shocked. I think you have to go with the flow and figure out what works for you. As they grow different things work. Many swear by swaddling. I have read that the book "Happiest baby on the block" has great advice for the first 3 month but I found out about it too late. DS still naps on me (boppy) during the day. Sometimes I will lay him in the crib to nap but he sleeps shorter periods during the day so I hold him and watch TV etc . Good luck.
    C:\Documents and Settings\David Lawrence\My Documents\My Pictures\DSC00970.jpg
    Mommy to Alexander
    Born Oct 6,2006

swaddle! that's what we did. plus we put her in her bouncy seat. she HATED the crib or bassinet for the first 2 months of her life. I think she had reflux and just didn't like to be flat on her back. Eventually, at 2 months, we started her in her crib for naps, with me right there the whole time. Then (on a weekend) we started her there at night. She took to it fine. Sometimes we'll sleep in her room with her (theres a twin bed in there) if she's sick or something, but I think she prefers to sleep alone. I think our presence wakes her up.

She seems to kick out of the swaddle. I'm going to have to figure that one out so she stays in it. She sleeps great on me (on my chest) at night, but that's not safe. What if I roll or lose hold? I also am very aware her on her belly so I'm constantly awakening to make sure she's breathing.

I'm going to try that infant Mylecon. Maybe that will calm her belly.

At least I know I'm not alone. I have a sleep positioner that has an incline to it. We've tried with it and without it. I've had her in the crib and in a pack-in-play.

Have you tried a Swaddle Me blanket? I think Kiddopotamus makes them, and you can get one at Babies R Us. They velcro shut so baby can't kick out!

Well here is what I did despite it being unadvisable. I took my newborn out into the living room and slept on my side on the couch with my back to the bench. The fatigue was intense and he wouldn't sleep unles he could feel me, and when I was on the bed i was afraid I'd roll over on him. So I placed him facing me, and I tucked a blanket under my backside and under his backside so he wouldn't roll off the couch. And I got some cotton pickin' sleep!! lol. Only and hour and a half at a time but it worked. Kept me sane. Just my two cents.
    Last edited by carpentergirl; February 6th, 2007 at 12:25 PM.

Pellegirl is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

We found great success with the Miracle Blanket. It is a little pricey but our DD was never able to get out of it. She found ways to get out of the Swaddle me one.

Melissa

there are safer ways to co-sleep :

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/t071000.asp

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBMayJun99p68.html

Dr. McKenna believes that co-sleeping can be a positive experience for a breastfeeding family and should not be considered dangerous if parents institute the following safeguards:

Parents should not sleep with their babies if they are smokers or have ingested alcohol or drugs.
    Bedding should be tight fitting to the mattress.
    The mattress should be tight fitting to the headboard of the bed.
    There should not be any loose pillows or soft blankets near the baby's face.
    There should not be any space between the bed and adjoining wall where the baby could roll and become trapped.
    The baby should not be placed on its stomach