Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nipple pain!

Default nipple pain!

i recently had a clogged milk duct in my left breast but that seems to have cleared up now and i'm not sure if it was the extra nursing on that side or what but now my nipple feels raw and sometimes burns after nursing. the initial latch is very painful as well and it's hurt off and on like this for about 2 weeks. i had dd checked out by her ped and she's free of thrush so i know it's not because of that and there are no visible cracks on the nipple either only a tiny scab.
    i've been using lanolin after each feeding, is there anything else i can do to soothe that nipple?
    it's also the smaller nipple or what i call 'the bad side.' i heard that sometimes your little one can nurse different on the smaller nipple b/c she is use to the larger one, is there any truth to that?
    thanks in advance for the input!

Default Re: nipple pain!

There is a scab on your nipple? Does it tend to re-open after every feed? When did the scab appear?

I think it's a scab but it's only like the size of a freckle and it's on my areola near my nipple. I noticed it a couple of days ago but there hasn't been any change in it.

I and bad cracking and bleeding with scabs also. I got no relief from the lanolin and so I got Gerber Breast Therapy Balm. It is lanolin free and I had much better luck with that. Also, I used gel nursing pads which helped. Godd Luck!

Nipple Shields are your friend! Medella makes some - and I used them when I was ready to quit and it gave my nipple some MUCH needed relief!