Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: used pumps?

Default used pumps?

Hi ladies,

I'm getting conflicting info regarding used pumps. So I'm looking for opinions from all of you!

Do you consider it okay to get a used breast pump? Would you have any concerns about the motor not holding up?

I've heard from moms -- including one who is a nurse -- who said it was fine. LLL and the manufacturers (of course) say there's no way to entirely sanitize the internal workings. But I kind of wonder if, legally, that's the stance they have to take.

What are your thoughts?

Default Re: used pumps?

I am using a used Medela Pump in Style that is over 12 years old and it works great!! The best part is that it is compatible with the parts on todays Medela pumps, so I just replaced the tubing and the shields and bottles and it is like brand new! None of the milk actually goes through the pump itself, and that is the most expensive part, the other parts were cheap to replace. So I say if you can find a used pump then go for it and of course the companies are going to tell you no, but everyone that has had babies around us use used pumps and never one complaint!!

kmshaw4

I am using a used pump - borrowing it from my best friend.

I don't know if I would borrow or buy a pump from someone that I don't know, but plenty of people do.

It seems wasteful to have every new mom who is pumping to go out and buy a new pump and throw it out when they are done.

I also received conflicting advice.

I initially borrowed a pump from a good friend, used a replacement kit, etc., upon the advice of a ped and lc who both said it was ok with a new kit. After using it a few weeks I ran across info again on risks and wanted to discuss with an expert. I got ahold of a different lc and she went on and on about the risks. I got so freaked out I had my husband go out and buy a new pump, bottles, etc., and felt horrible for about a week about what I may have exposed my lo to. Bottom line: If you have ANY reservations, no matter how small, just buy your own pump. I do think it's unlikely I really did expose my ds to anything, but it's not worth the heartache and worry when it comes to your lo's health.

I will say I was able to pump more with my new pump , and it came with some handy accessories that my friend must have lost in the course of three kids.

In the end I was happy I bought my own pump and regret not just doing it in the first place.

I have seen some posts that mention some insurance covers the cost of a pump. You may want to check with your provider on this if you decide to buy new.

I borrowed a pump for awhile. Then I found the PIS on a garage sale for only $25 dollars. I cleaned everything well and haven't had any problems. I know it's not ideal, but you don't have much choice when the budget is tight.

I too am using a used pump... borrowed from a friend, I replaced all the tubing, shields and bottles with a replacement kit and I have been pumping just fine. When I went to the Mommy store to buy the tubing the women (a LC ) told me all about the risks and I said "but you rent pumps here and make people buy these replacement kits" what is the difference between yours and mine. She said mine was personal and theirs were commercial. That there was no risk with theirs, but there was with mine... seems a bit scamish to me.

But I probably wouldn't do it if it was a stranger, my friend assured me that no breast milk ever got into the pump and I know she took good care of her pump and herself.

I too have seen stuff where people warn against this, but I think like the previous poster said - the 'safety' problem is maybe more theoretical than actual. (maybe!)

Regardless, I got an "i don't know how old" PIS from my sister, who hardly used it, and she got it from a friend who may have used it a lot, or a little, who knows. It's FINE and it works well. I will probably pass it on when I am through. It was free. I would have probably paid up to a certain amount for it, but probably not over 75 or 100$ or so. THey are what, like $275 now? If I was paying a whole lot, I'd want a new one with all the literature and a warranty and whatever.

But anyway, in my opinion, I think it's fine.

The hospital grade rental pumps are "closed systems" so there is no possibility of cross contamination.

The Medela PIS and PIS Advanced are "open system" which means it is possible for milk to get up the tubes, into the pump motor thing and result in cross contamination.

I'm pretty sure that one of the only (or only one?) "closed system" pump that completely has no risk of cross contamination to reuse with new horns is the Ameda Purely Yours pump:
    http://www.hollister.com/us/products...=76&series=476

I bought a new Medela PIS Advanced on sale. It was definitely an expensive initial cost, but since I plan to pump for at least a year ends up coming out to less than a dollar a day.

I know that several people have had good results getting insurance to cover a pump.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I bought an ameda purely yours from ebay and sterilized everything - the milk doesn't go through the tubing and I just boiled the shields, bottles etc. I couldn't afford a new pump or even to rent one for long periods of time and this pump saved my breastfeeding experience. I'm not really a germ freak though and I don't wipe off the shopping cart handles before I put my kids in them. I might be more careful with a preemie, but overall I think it's fine to buy a good quality used pump and sterilize everything.