Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I'd really like to stop lactating! any suggestions on drying up milk?

Default I'd really like to stop lactating! any suggestions on drying up milk?

After breastfeeding for over 4 yrs, my nursling gave it up a few months ago. It was a gradual process, he tapered down slowly on his own, and it was absolutley beautiful.

I'm still lactating though. I get serious letdown, (still!) when i hear a baby cry and leak when i dont wear a bra. I loved breastfeeding, dont get me wrong. I'm done now though, and i'd like the milk to just go away please. Do cabbage leaves work? Is there anything i can do to encourage the lactation hormones to shut off already? Are there any benefits to me to keep lactating? I've read that women can lactate for years after weaning happens, and i'm sooo not ready to do that! I'm a single mama, and thinking about dating again, and as much as i'd like to find a guy who isnt weirded out by this ongoing lactation thing, i'm kind of weirded out by it myself. I'd really like to be able to do my housework braless without soaking my shirt!

Default Re: I'd really like to stop lactating! any suggestions on drying up milk?

You could try breast binding- just wrap them tightly or wear a snug sports bra 24-7 until the flow stops. Also cold on the breasts will help. Avoid a warm or hot shower as the warmth will cause the milk let down. That is really all I know of. My milk stopped within a couple weeks with only pain from engorgement a little.

Default Re: I'd really like to stop lactating! any suggestions on drying up milk?

It is common for women to continue to produce small amounts of milk for weeks, months, even years after nursing, especially if they've nursed for a long time. Spontaneous leaking usually subsides within a few weeks after weaning. If the leaking continues and you feel it's in excess, you may want to pay a visit to your doctor just to be sure that there isn't some sort of underlying issue. Galactorrhea can be caused by some health issues so it's good to just rule those out. Also, if it's caused by some health issue then treating the problem can usually treat the galactorrhea as well

This isn't from an approved LLL source but it gives some good information, I think. Perhaps it can help you or at least give you some information: Galactorrhea (unexpected milk production) and other nipple discharge

thanks for the feedback, i didnt find the page on galactorrhea when i looked on kellymom's site.

i do have a history of pcos, and google tells me that hyperprolactinemia/galactorrhea can be one of the symptoms, so i guess it's time to go in again and get my hormone levels checked. i usually have my pcos pretty well managed, but have been under a lot of stress lately, so my hormones are probably out of balance.