Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP! Problems with a 6 wk old

Default HELP! Problems with a 6 wk old

Hi All,
    My DD has me concerned. She has for the past 2 weeks started nursing in a very peculiar manner. It seems like she is sucking and then loosing the latch - this happens over and over again. Basically I see her mouth move and then the inevitable smack of her losing the latch, then she's back to sucking and losing the latch (I now call it the suck and smack). It does not phase her a bit and she does not let go of the nipple. It's a continuous process. Since the past couple of days, she has started crying at the breast, then she nurses for a couple of minutes (the suck and smack) then cries a bit more and continues with the nursing. It is very frustrating to me. Can anyone help? Milk flow is good, good let-down, her tongue is below the nipple, she's gaining weight, not dehydrated, alert and active. Any pointers? Thanks! Anjali

Default Re: HELP! Problems with a 6 wk old

Yes, this kind of fussy-while-nursing behavior can be very frustrating for mom. Let's see if we can figure out what's going on.

Sometimes babies get overwhelmed with a rapid milk flow and have to break the latch in order to keep up. Could this be an overactive letdown situation (OALD)?

http://lalecheleague.org/llleaderweb...pOct95p69.html

Sometimes, if baby has been having any bottles or pacifiers, nipple preference or nipple confusion sets in and latch problems develop. Has your daughter been offered any artificial nipples?

There are lots of other things that can cause fussy-at-the-breast behaviors, but let's start with the two really common biggies and go from there.

--Rebecca

Default Re: HELP! Problems with a 6 wk old

There are times (during the day especially) when I have strong let down. I will read your link and educate myself about it. I have noticed that she seems not to do the suck and smack when I nurse at night - she's usually half asleep. I did have a problem with the staff at the hospital about her being 100% breastfed. We think that she was offered the bottle at least once at the hospital but that's it! She has been exclusively been breastfed ever since. Let me know if there is anything else you can think of. I really appreciate your help! Anjali