Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: got electic pump...when to stop?

Post got electic pump...when to stop?

I just rented a Medela pump and used it for the first time tonight. It works wonders and took no time at all compared to hand pumping!! I was just curious as to when to stop during a session. Should milk still be "squirting," "dripping," or should I do it until no milk comes out? Should I pump until I get so many ounces? Stop after so many minutes? Also, since it is more effective than hand pumping, should I still do it every 2-3 hours??
    Last edited by newmomma11507; February 5th, 2007 at 07:03 PM.

Default Re: got electic pump...when to stop?

nak.

It really all depends on what your goal is and how much milk you're getting. If you need to increase your production, or at least maintain, you'll need to pump until you "empty" or until the milk stops. If you are worried about making too much milk, then you will only want to pump enough to be comdortable, just a little pressure release. If you are still establishing your milk supply or if you are EPing, you will want to try to pump as much as possible until you empty.

Ok, just found and read your lasr post - you LO is still new (Congrats, btw) so you will need to pump frequently for several weeks/months until your supply is well established, and pump til empty unless it starts to look like overproduction might be a problem. Good luck! hth Let me know how it goes!

I pumped every 2 hours (even at night) for 20minutes at a time around the clock..

don't be afraid to call your local leader she can help.
    I agree it depends on what your trying to do! How much the baby is nursing at the breast.