Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help - My baby stopped latching on

Default Help - My baby stopped latching on

Help! My baby is 5 weeks old and everything was going great until last week. My baby has a hard time finding my nipple. Its is in his mouth and its almost like its too soft. He becomes easily frustrated and wont latch on. When he does take it its for one second and then lets go like there is nothin in his mouth. What can i do?? Please help

Default Re: Help - My baby stopped latching on

Rolling your nipple between your fingers before latching him on can help it stand out more. Maybe that would help?

My 5-week-old has been doing the exact same thing recently. We found out that we have thrush, which can cause fussiness at the nipple. I'm not sure if that's causing it, but you may want to check out the symptoms for thrush.

Here is a link to info about thrush:
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T028100.asp

I'd like to add that if you are engorged or your breasts feel nice and firm it can make it really hard for a new baby to latch on. Here is how you fix this:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...cotterman.html
    Keep us posted!

any bottles ? Some babies have a hard time going between breast and the bottle.
    Ditch the bottles and see if that helps.

My baby is 4 weeks old and does this exact thing!
    It is very frustrating. He seems to do it more at night and more often when he's WIDE awake - and it's the opposite of the engorgement problem - when it is softer he doesn't recognize it or something.

Quote Originally Posted by I-Man's Momma View Post
    Rolling your nipple between your fingers before latching him on can help it stand out more. Maybe that would help?
    really good advice for a softer breast.

Sorry I didn't introduce myself or anything, i'm nursing and typing one handed. i would have started my own thread but this is exactly what i wanted to ask about. I just tried rolling my nipple, something i've tried before and it may have helped some but he still pulls off and shakes his head around every so often. nursing is not painful to my nipples, and never has been, he has been great at latching on from day 1. could we have a problem like thrush w/o any symptoms? i read the linked info. his mouth isn't white at all either. it gets so frustating at nighttime that i want to cry. it's like he panics and can't find my nipple, pants heavily with his eyes wide open and shakes his head back and forth, even when it is right in his mouth. when he can't find it, he cries.

Quote Originally Posted by hisgirlfriday View Post
    could we have a problem like thrush w/o any symptoms?

it gets so frustating at nighttime that i want to cry. it's like he panics and can't find my nipple, pants heavily with his eyes wide open and shakes his head back and forth, even when it is right in his mouth. when he can't find it, he cries.
    This sounds like normal tiny-baby behavior to me. They swing their head back and forth in an effort to find the nipple. Rooting is what its called. Of course your baby cries, how disappointing to not latch when you are hungry.
    I would possibly reduce the time between feedings so he wasn't starving and panicking. Then I would prime the breast a little so bb could smell the milk on the nipple, and maybe that might help.

Quote Originally Posted by carpentergirl View Post
    This sounds like normal tiny-baby behavior to me. They swing their head back and forth in an effort to find the nipple. Rooting is what its called. Of course your baby cries, how disappointing to not latch when you are hungry.
    I would possibly reduce the time between feedings so he wasn't starving and panicking. Then I would prime the breast a little so bb could smell the milk on the nipple, and maybe that might help.
    This has helped my daughter and me. I squeeze some milk on the nipple when she gets those tantrums and she usually latches on. Sometimes she comes off again after a little bit, but I just do it over. You could try breast compression, too. Maybe your bb is frustrated because the milk flow is too slow. Here's a link on compression with a video: http://www.thebirthden.com/Newman.html.

If this doesn't help either, maybe burping your baby helps. Many times I've been wondering why she wouldn't take the nipple in her mouth just to find out she actually had to burp (even though she kept on rooting).

Good luck!