Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long does a Medela Pump In Style Last????

Default How long does a Medela Pump In Style Last????

I am about to have baby #2. Baby #1 was given only breastmilk for 18 months. I pumped all the time - as breastfeeding did not come easy to me. I have a Medela Pump In Style that is 3 years old - which was bought new for the first baby. I still have it but felt at the end of breastfeeding #1 that the pump did not work as well as it did in the beginning. I will admit that I pumped ALOT!!!! (Really, this was tough for me - but worth the effort!!!!)

Do I need a new pump? I loved my pump but do not want to be in a situation where I cannot get the breastfeeding started without a good strong pump to help get me going. (Baby #1 had a lazy suck and without my pump I never would have gotten things moving!!!) My pump was my lifeline - and a blessing!!!

I called Medela and they assured me that the pump would last thru several kids. I did tell them that my pump had been "used and abused" - but they were sure that the pump could make it through baby #2. Does anyone have any comments/suggestions????

Default Re: How long does a Medela Pump In Style Last????

Did you try new white membranes? Sometimes they don't lie flat on the breast shield after a while or after storing the pump and accessories for a period of time.

Default Re: How long does a Medela Pump In Style Last????

maybe you need all new plastic parts you can get them from babies r us, or maybe you need to clean behind the diaphragm?