Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Correcting a Bad Latch

Question Correcting a Bad Latch

My daughter is feeding well, gaining weight, and having good diaper output. However, I think she still has a poor latch. Her bottom lip is never flanged out, and her tongue is definitely not over her bottom gum as The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding says it should be. I am using RAM at her widest open, which looks wide enough, but once she hits the breast, the bottom lip goes on but not out. I can pull it out by pulling down the skin on her chin, but that doesn't address the tongue issue.

So how can I correct this? I want her to be as efficient as possible so she gets lots of milk, and I worry that this poor latch is the reason she is having some green poops.

Also, how vital is it that I correct this? She seems to be thriving, but then again if she is all gums, won't teething eventually make nursing impossible if there's no tongue to cushion the teeth?

Default Re: Correcting a Bad Latch

As long as your lo is gaining and you're in no pain, there is no need to correct.
    Sorry so short. nak

Hi there
    How old is your baby? Are you having any pain while she breastfeeds?

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

If she is gaining correctly and you are not in pain I would be happy and not worry! As far as the green poops-she may not be nursing long enough in order to get the fatty hind milk. My son was like this at one point because he would nurse in 10 min or under and be done. How long does she nurse on one side?

She's 8 weeks old and is nursing about 20-25 minutes on one side and then often comes back for another 5 soon after. It seems like she should be getting hindmilk under those circumstances. That is what makes me think her latch or suck is off.

I sometimes have a pinching sensation on the left nipple that goes away when she starts to swallow the milk. Sometimes the left nipple comes out flattened a bit too. Neither of those things happen on the right.

Green poop can also be the beginning of a food sensitivity. I'd go to the Allergies forum. Just scroll down. Also here is a poop link:
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...ricks/poop.asp
    It sounds like your baby is nursing good, might be time to rule other things out. Is it always green? Is it green 4 hours after you drink a glass of milk, ect?

I don't drink milk at all. We are an organic vegan family, so it's all veggies, fruits, and whole grains here. I cut out soy at one point, but two weeks of that didn't result in a difference. Maybe wheat?

Wait wait wait.

Before we go attributing it to a food allergy, let's talk about it a bit more. Is EVERY poop green? Or is it less frequent? Usually, with green poop, we start to look at foremilk/hindmilk imbalance first. The majority of her diapers should be yellow, but a few green ones here and there is nothing to be concerned about.

If she's having plenty of diaper output AND you're not having pain with feeding on the right side, then I wouldn't worry too much about how the latch looks from the outside. You can tug gently at her lower lip while she's actively nursing (to get the lip to flange) if you think it might help.

As for the crimping and pinching on the left nipple, that's definitely a sign that she's not latching deeply enough on that side, and in that case you DO want to pay extra attention to the latch and work on getting her on with a deeper latch.

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!