Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: breakfast lunch and dinner???

Question breakfast lunch and dinner???

Jackson went to the pediatrician last week...weighed in at 19 lb 4 oz at 6 months and 2 weeks. The doctor is very happy with his weight gain as am I...BUT...he wants me to add more solids into his diet. Cereal & fruits or veggies THREE times a day! I thought the majority of his caloric intake up to 12 months of age should be breastmilk (or formula). Am I wrong???

He is currently eating a small bowl of baby cereal and 2-3 tablespoons of fruit or veggies in the evening and nursing on demand (usually every 3-4 hours/24 hours a day).

Default Re: breakfast lunch and dinner???

It really sounds like you are doing things just right. You are correct -- the majority of a baby's diet should consist of breastmilk in the first full year of life. Anything else you give them is less nutritious than your breastmilk so it should be offered sparingly.

You could offer him solids 3x/day but I'd keep the amount that you are offering now, kwim? You may also want to reconsider the baby cereal -- the iron in those baby cereal's can impede the baby's ability to absorb the iron in your breastmilk.

It is really difficult to know what to do when your MD advises you on issues. Just be assured , as Carol said, that you are doing a wonderful job!

I agree that you need to be cautious as any more supplemental food could cause your son to decrease his nursing...it is a fine line sometimes. You can reduce that risk by always nursing baby prior to offering solids. Then you can be sure he won't take in too many solids...his belly will be full of your milk and the solids will truely be "supplemental". Offering foods that are very nutrient-packed, such as avocado and other fruits and vegetable is another good way to go...some of these can be finger foods to be sure that abay is not overfeeding the solids, plus it can be a fun experience for baby and you.

You are right; your Dr is wrong. Really, since he agrees your ds is healthy and developing properly, he has no business telling you to change a thing, since you are clearly doing everything right! If it ain't broke, don't fix it!