Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: how much food for daycare?

Default how much food for daycare?

DS is 10 months old and goes to daycare while I work. I pump for his bottles, so he has never had formula.
    For the past few weeks, he's not finishing all of his bottles, but he is eating plenty of solids. The teachers suggested that I send in smaller or fewer bottles, so I don't waste my BM. (they know I have supply issues and how precious BM is to us!!) Right now I send in 3 6oz bottles. He's been leaving about 2 ounces in each bottle, sometimes more.
    Would it be ok to only send in 3 4oz bottles? (he would get 2 meals of solids, too) Is that enough BM for his age? He still nurses 4 times when we are home (plus gets another meal of solids).
    I want to make sure he has plenty of BM, but my supply sucks and nothing is really helping lately, so a decrease would be less pressure on me, too.
    Advice? TIA.

Default Re: how much food for daycare?

I think it's okay to only send what baby is eating -- no need to waste that precious breastmilk. As long as your son is nursing a lot when you two are together then he's probably getting plenty during those times. You may even want to back off on the solid foods that he gets at home in hopes that he'll increase your supply (while you are at home) and get even more breastmilk. Or you may want to ask daycare to back off on the solids a bit so that he does consume those 3 6 oz. bottles of EBM.

You are probably already aware that breastmilk should make up the majority of baby's diet for the first full year of life. Just use your best judgment -- you are the expert on your baby!

You could have an extra frozen 4 oz EBM at the daycare for an emergency stash if you wanted. That would cover a day when maybe your baby wanted more.

I would definately do the 4oz bottles instead of 6 so none is being thrown away.

EBM is oh so precious!

Wow. I personally would never put more than 2-3 oz of ebm in one bottle. Just too scared of some going to waste. If you send more smaller bottles, he can still have another if he finishes one and still seems hungry, but less is wasted that way.