Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: allergies?

Default allergies?

Oh yes, I just thought of another question. My dd has just recently broken out with bumps all over her belly - is that a symptom of food allergy? This broke out when I was still giving her baby food from a jar, (my previous post states that I have not been feeding her babyfood from a jar, anymore) i think the last thing I introduced to her before the break out was turkey and sweetpotatoe in jar.

~Alissa
    wife to Ted
    mommy to Kayleen - 6 mo

Default Re: allergies?

Hi Alissa,
    How has the rash been today? Has it subsided? Did you call dd's ped?

There are many reasons a baby develops a rash like this and it is best to discuss it with you doctor if you are concerned, but yes, it certainly could be from a food (although turkey and sweet potatoes do not usually cause reactions-pretty low risk for allergies).

Hi, thank you for asking, yes the bumps are gone. I really wasn't all that concerned because it wasn't bothering her at all. They only stayed for a few days, I was just wondering if that was a normal symptom of food allergies, or maybe allergic to some clothing she was wearing, hmmm..... who knows.... lol.

Yep, could be that too...maybe a change in laundry detergents?

So, yes, that is a normal symptom of a food allergy. You will know for sure as you begin to offer other things, and offer those foods again. You can offer new foods a few days apart, that way you will know which is the offending food if she has trouble. Also, offering early in the day is always a good idea, because then you will have time later to see if she is reacting. (If she is sleeping at night you might not notice an outbreak.)

I remember the first time dd had a taste of tomatoes-it was in the sauce of lasagna. She was about 9 months old and she broke out ALL OVER her body from it! I will never forget that! Needless to say, I was more cautious about acidic things after that. To this day (she is almost 5) she prefers white-garlic pizza to pizza with sauce. And she is ok with spaghetti and meatballs with sauce, but prefers pasta when I toss it with a little olive oil. Hmmmm....
    DH had stomach issues with tomato sauces as well. I have been wondering if maybe she does too!

Glad to hear that she is doing better! I wash all of our families stuff in All Free And Clear just to be sure. That way who-ever holds him and where ever he sleeps he is safe. Best of luck! Brittan