Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How long do I keep putting breastmilk in cereal?

Question How long do I keep putting breastmilk in cereal?

I usually put 1 ounce in my son's cereal when he nurses beforehand. When he's not interested in nursing I put closer to 2 ounces. My question is how long should I keep this up for? I've noticed my breasts are much smaller these days and it's freaking me out a little. Weird for me 'cause I had such a huge oversupply when he was younger. My son is huge ,8.5 mo and over 23 pounds and he eats solids twice a day. Should I keep putting it in to maintain more milk?

Default Re: How long do I keep putting breastmilk in cereal?

I guess I don't understand your question? Are you worried about your son getting enough bm, or are you worried about your supply?

Lisa

I have the same questions as ligrile...along with What kind of cereal is baby eating? Because if its baby cereal, like rice cereal, you don't have to mix that with BM...it can be mixed with water, apple juice, apple sauce, pear sauce, veggies...pretty much whatever you want. Also, you don't even have to serve those baby cereals. At 8.5 mos. old, alot of babies can handle real oatmeal and finger foods like cheerios etc. if you don't want to serve baby cereal.

If you're talking about cereal like cheerios, you can skip the BM and just make it a finger food, but don't add cow's milk until one year of age.

Also, its still pretty important for baby to be nursing before all meals until 12 mos. of age, so if baby doesn't want to nurse within an hour or so of a solid foods meal, it might make sense to delay the solid foods meal until he does want to nurse first...or make sure he has EBM in a sippy cup or regular cup beforehand and with his meal. That way, if you make sure baby has nursed first, it won't be so important to have the breastmilk in the cereal.

I mean baby cereal. I thought I should still be giving it because of the iron. The reason I put breast milk in there is because I read somewhere that it's more nutritious than adding just water.I am worried about my supply lately my breasts are SO soft. I feel like he nurses so much less now.

I usually nurse him a few times in the morning before his nap. After his nap he often isn't interested in nursing before lunch- that is when I add the extra ounce of milk.

I'm sorry I guess my question is dumb.

Your question isn't dumb! Please don't feel that way. I was just trying to get a better feel for what your concerns were.

You're likely not making as much breastmilk because you're nursing less! That's OK....as long as you're still meeting the demands of your LO, you're doing fine. As far as how much bm to add to the cereal, don't worry too much. Do what feels right. Either way will be fine for your LO.

Lisa