Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need support for mom of colic 6 week old

Default Re: Need support for mom of colic 6 week old

have you contacted your local LLL Leader yet?

I had a VERY fussy/colicky baby from about 2 wks to 4 months. I definitely sympathize with you. My DS would fuss ALL day and then in the evening he would scream for hours. Unfortunately for us, he was not even calmed by nursing. He'd either refuse the breast entirely or latch for a couple minutes and then pull off and start screaming again. I too felt cheated out of that magical mother-baby happy bonding that I thought was supposed to happen during that time. It did get better for us when I learned to nurse lying down. Then he would sometimes nurse and fall asleep while in any other position he'd refuse the breast. I never read The Happiest Baby on the Block, but I know several other moms who found it REALLY helpful. So, I'd definitely recommend that (the DVD may be easier/quicker than the book). Also, check out the Sears info. There are many theories as to what causes "colic", only one of which is stomach upset. For us, I felt like the overstimulated nervous system theory made the most sense. Six weeks is often the peak time for colic, so you are probably in the worst stage of it now. Fortunately, it does usually pass by about 3-4 months. I know that sounds like a long way off, but at least there is likely an end that time itself will bring.

IMHO, I would NOT try to stretch feedings out if I were in your situation. That doesn't mean I wouldn't try other calming strategies (like maybe some things the Happiest Baby book), but when nothing else seems to work and nursing does--then nurse. I don't think that taking the nursing away now makes it any easier later (i.e. when you go back to work). More crying now doesn't necessarily equate to less crying later, and even if it did, why is crying now better than crying later, KWIM? I think that it is easier for babies to go without nursing when mom is not there rather than being there with mom but not being allowed to nurse. The latter seems more confusing to the baby to me. So, I would definitely keep trying other solutions, but when the baby's screaming and wants to nurse, I'd nurse. This time WILL pass.

Also, if you haven't already done so, you may want to talk with the ped about other possible causes for the fussiness other than "colic". Could it be reflux? Could the baby have an earache? You can try cutting dairy out of your diet for a few weeks (some babies have a sensitivity to dairy protein which can pass through in your milk). Make sure the baby is having plenty of wet diapers and gaining adequate weight... etc. etc.

Hang in there!

No not yet. How do I do that and what would they do?

what is the stuff you used?

your local leader would give you somebody to talk to, and they can maybe help you figure out whats going on..
    heres a link to find a leader....
    pick your state.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/WebUS.html
    then the area you live in.
    Leaders run groups but they also offer help over the phone so you don't have to go to a meeting to ask questions or get info.
    Your local leader might also know another mom in your area that is dealing with the same issue. Sometimes it just helps to have somebody like minded to talk to. Some of my best friends Ive found threw my lll group!