Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need support for mom of colic 6 week old

Default Need support for mom of colic 6 week old

My son will be 6 weeks on wed. I am so so frustrated and depressed due to his colic behavior. Our days are spent mostly crying. Night are OK- up every 2 hrs, but for the most part goes back to sleep after nursing. It is so hard because the ONLY thing to calm him when he's crying is nursing. But I'm to return to work in 2 weeks and very worried about what he's gonna do when I can't just nurse him all the time. My dr pressures me to stretch feedings to every 3 hrs by keeping him busy with his toys and seats etc but when he's crying like that (most of the time) it is impossible to do those things. Do any of you work and been through this? I just feel so bad because I am hating this time in my life when I thought I'd be enjoying it. I could use any support or normalization.

Default Re: Need support for mom of colic 6 week old

I also have a colicky baby, who is 7 1/2 wks old. His witching hours are between 6PM-midnight. I pump BM and have DH feed DS by bottle at night when I need a break due to breast soreness. Our approach is to make sure DS is full. If he cries and is fussy, we break the cycle of crying with white noise (bring him into out bathroom with lound fan turned on, turning on tub water, or hairblower). We rock him to sleep in the midst of these noise. Once he looks like he stopped crying and jiggling around, we continue to rock him to sleep. I recommend reading The Happiest Baby on the Block by Dr. Harvey Karp.

sorry for atrocious spelling, writing this with wrist brace and not proofreading

If you haven't read Dr. Karp's book and don't think you'll have time with a high-needs baby, have DH read it aloud to you while you are breastfeeding or rocking baby to sleep. The info will benefit both of you. I know how you feel. I was feeling the same frustration a few weeks ago. If you have a couple of techniques in your hand that can help you with the crying you'll feel empowered and things become more enjoyable. Having discovered several techniques to sooth the baby, I feel like I can handle the fussy evenings.

colic's the pits..
    have you heard of doctor sears? He has lots of info on his web site about fussy babies and colic.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T051200.asp

this link is very good:
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T051300.asp

your doctors advice of streching out feeds might be what is causeing baby pain. Sometimes babies with gerd or relfux feal beter with feeds more often.

heres some links about working
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBworking.html
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/returnwork.html

yep - the PP made a good point - if there is an issue with reflux smaller feeds, more often helps tremendously.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I have had three colicky babies so I can relate and feel your pain. My second baby (2000) started this reign of colic in our household, but this was before I knew anything about it. He would WAIL for hours unless I was his pacifier, and we spent many of our early nights sleeping in the recliner. It went on for months. I was probably also in denial more than anything, "not me, I don't have a colicky baby!."

My third baby (2005) was even worse. His crying just made me cringe!! Again, I was trapped nursing constantly. Like you, I was getting ready to go back to work at 8 weeks PP. I was frantic trying to find some way past this. When he was 4-5 weeks old, I was at the end of my rope when a Mom from cub scouts suggested a local pharmacy. They developed their own formulation for a colic medicine. I did not like the idea of medicating my son, but really felt if it was going to make him more comfortable, I would have to try something. I consulted our peditrician about the ingredients and they agreed it was pretty mild. It brought us all much needed relief.

Now, my daughter started with colic at about 2 weeks of age. Her witching hours were 6-10 most nights, but there were some 4-10 and an occassional 24 hour bout. I was trying to deny it again, no way my perfect little baby would have colic. We started her with this colic med as well, and it was wonderful. More recently, we found out she has reflux, and she is taking Pepcid to control it. She was doing pretty poorly with her weight gain. I find that she is not so bad with the colic now, but we still give the medicine if we really find she is uncomfortable and making fists and kicking about while crying. I am lucky I did not have to return to work with her. I would be going crazy by this time trying to survive this and work.

I have a list of ingredients if you are interested in more information about it. The pharmacy will mail it to you and it is available over the counter (you are not required to have a prescription for it). We still have our marathon feedings in the evenings, but they are just that, actuall feedings. She is not using me as her pacifier any more and there is no more wailing!!

My LO has been very colicky, we got the DVD by Dr. Karp and it has worked wonders!! My LO likes white noise, but the only thing we have found to keep her asleep is the womb sounds bear from Walmart. She likes louder noises to calm her, but she sleeps like a champ with the bear!! I highly recommend reading the book, or listening to the book, or checking out the DVD Happiest Baby on the Block, it has cnahged our world!! LOL Good luck!!!!!

They did have the book at rite aid for under $6..
    Heres a link to a web site..
    http://www.biawa.org/baby/baby.htm

Make sure that ur lo is getting the hindmilk...coz its got this thing that calms the baby n makes his food stay longer in his stomech. to insure that he is is getting enough hindmilk is to feed him frm one side only each feeding session (one side for 2 hours).

My lo at that age was so colicky also, recently I realized that I have oversupply and I was feedin him from both sides each session, so that caused an imblance of formilk n hindmilk, which cozed upset stomech n made my baby fussy.

Proud Mother to Ziyad, born naturally, November 3 2006

Breastfed for 26 months and still co-sleeping
    "Do more than belong, participate. Do more than care, help.

Do more than believe, practice. Do more than be fair, be kind.

Do more than dream, work!."