Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Can't achieve "let-down" to pump!

Unhappy Help! Can't achieve "let-down" to pump!

Help,
    I am taking night class and need to pump so my husband can TRY to get our 4 1/2 month old son to drink from a bottle. The problem is my breasts won't let-down unless I have my son on one side. That in itself is tricky manipulating baby and breast pump apperatus. My son is napping now and I'd like to express some milk and no luck. Any advice???

Default Re: Help! Can't achieve "let-down" to pump!

I have a 3 week old...but turning on a hot shower will do it for me!! I don't know if that is normal or just because I am new at it. It works everytime. Maybe it has a calming effect on me. Try relaxing as much as possible before trying to pump.

Thank you. I'll try that.

Try relaxing and reading. If your husband can take the baby and you can watch tv or read a book or something that may help. If you are stressing about your milk supply you usually get less. At least that's what I've found.

Yep, try to relax as much as you can beforehand.

I also found that I was able to pump more if I pumped both sides at one time. I was never able to get the hang of pumping one side while nursing on the other, either. But, pumping both sides typically did the trick. I will say that sometimes I'd letdown in 3 minutes, and other times it would take quite a bit longer, so maybe you might try pumping a little longer, too.

Lisa

Sometimes looking at my LO's picture or just thinking about him helps. I guess it's kind of like meditation or guided imagery. I just imagine holding my LO and breastfeeding him. At first when I started pumping it took a REALLY long time to let down. Now I let down soon after I start pumping.

I used to be able to only pump while I fed on the other side..Then I tried to pump again while I was sitting next to my baby and that worked to.. I noticed that I only relax when I am around my LO, so that is the trick for me. I sit next to her while she plays on the floor...
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

I know exactly what you are talking about and have had the same problem when I try to pump late day. However, if you can manage to get a bottle saved up, try to pump first thing in the morning, you will probably get lrt down and twice as much milk to save as you will get any other time of day.

Thanks for all your advice. It is a relaxation thing. I've gotten better.

here's another thought (though I see you've said it has gotten better ) you hold & nurse the LO while hubby holds the pump.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.