Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Afraid supply is going down

Default Afraid supply is going down

This weekend my LO was extremely fussy and cried more than normal. She did not nurse as often as normal and would scream when I put her in the nursing position. She is 5 mo old (born 7 weeks early) and is our only child. I have been back to work for a month and pumping 3x per day while at work with a Medela PIS. I usually get about 5 oz in the am, 4oz at noon and 2-3 oz in the afternoon. This morning I got 2.5-3oz. My right breast always produces less but this morning it was very noticeable. I am scared of what will happen when I pump at noon. This is my first drop in production and I am scared to death. At first I thought she was starting to prefer the bottle but now I am worried that I didn't have enough for her. She sucked on her hand a lot too. I looked in her mouth and felt with my finger to see if she was teething but didn't see or feel anything. I am kicking myself for not pumping this weekend. Not sure what to do or try. I eat oatmeal every morning. I have fenugreek at home and will probably start taking it this evening. Could two days of decreased nursing have decreased my supply? She even slept for 6 hours Fri and Sat (a first for her) and I woke up engorged. Last night she woke up twice to eat which is normal for us. Could sleeping so much on Fri and Sat have decreased my morning supply?

Thanks for listening!

Default Re: Afraid supply is going down

Hi--I'm pretty much in the same position--back to work & producing less ebm. I don't have any answers yet, but I wanted to introduce myself. I feel for you... But I'm sure we'll get through this!!!

One person responded to my post "supply is dwindling" on the Infant BF thread with some ideas that might help you. Please let me know if you discover anything that works!

Hi, welcome to the forum!
    So how much Fenugreek are you taking? I take 9 pills a day to see effects. So around 2 every 6 hours, along with large amounts of water. I would consider recording some of your babies cries to listen to when you pump at work. It should help your let down. Also looking at a pic of your lo should help some too. Your body's reponses are so tied into the visual and auditory cues, that its really worth a shot in my opinion. When at home can you pump after your lo nurses for around ten minutes or so? (doesn't matter if breast is empty, you still need to knock on the door -so to speak)

So on to another idea. Have you done any reading about nursing strikes? You are well withina reasonable age for this. Here is a link to an older thread on the subject:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...nursing+strike
    Please let us know how thinks go.
    Try contacting your local LLL Leader for more personal support.

I just started the Fenugreek last night and am going to take 9 pills a day as well. 3 at breakfast, 3 at lunch and 3 at dinner. I will try pumping after she nurses at home. Last night I was just too freaked out and just cuddled with her and let her suckle whenever she wanted. I put her on the right breast first since it seems to have decreased the most - it still felt pretty empty but I wanted her to let it know that it needs to produce more. I finally got a good look in her mouth and I think I see teeth in her bottom gum. It looked like 2 little white squares when I looked at the front of her gum. I gave her some tylenol and it seemed to help. Depending on how the pumping goes this morning, I might add a pumping session at work to try to help it out.

Thanks so much for the advice!