Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help. My expressed milk keeps going sour!!!

Unhappy Help. My expressed milk keeps going sour!!!

Ok. I don't know what is going on. My expressed milk keeps turning sour after 1-2 days!!! I have tried placing it in various places in the fridge. It is in bottles, had it in bags before and still no difference. It is definitley sour..not only smells bad but (not to be gross but this is something I'm feeding my baby so I want to be sure) I dipped my finger in and tasted it.....absolutley horrible. The sour taste was overpowering the sweet taste. Almost as if it had been spit up. I don't know if I dare to start freezing yet as I really don't know if I will have the same problem. I have already thrown out about 10 ounces this morning...thank goodness I'm ahead in supply by a day. I have thrown out over 30 ounces in the last 2-3 days. Please help me. Oh, I did have a case of thrush which was treated and I'm now over it...just in case there is any relevancy here. The dr. has me on a maintenance program (1 pill per week for a month) of generic diflucan. I still have to take the last one this week. Thanks to all in advance for your help.

Default Re: Help. My expressed milk keeps going sour!!!

Hi - so sorry to hear about your problem. Is it soapy tasting at all? If so, search this forum for "lipase" as that is just one type of problem that I am familiar with. Read up on that for more info. as well as details on scalding milk which can prevent expressed milk from going rancid (if it is from that problem). Best of luck to you.

OMG. Thank you so much. I read a few articles on the lipase issue. Soapy, everything matched perfectly!!!!!! Thank you so much!!!!! Have you by any chance found anything about it's cause? I have been drinking lactaid milk because of my baby's sensitivity to an excess of dairy in my diet and have slowly been reintroducing dairy products...I consume cheese, etc. but not in large quantities. I had to do the same with my last baby and now remember that the frozen milk seemed bad too...just like this situation. Any idea if there is a link?

Hi Again,

It's been a few months since I did all my reading... but from what I recall, some moms just have more of that enzyme than others, and that if you have excess lipase it doesn't change over time. I don't think there is a cause although some moms were checking ingredients in their prenatal vitamins etc because they were still taking them and I think some stopped taking some of those (because something realted to lipase was an ingredient) incase that was related - but I don't recall anyone coming back and posting about how an excess lipase problem was resolved through dietary changes. I believe the kellymom.com page was good and mentioned the Lawrence & Lawrence article (those who did the reaearch on scalding) so if you haven't seen that yet - check that out too. If you have to try scalding, I highly recommend the bottle warmer method as it's been working GREAT for me for over 3 months.

Take care,
    C

Have you seen the "scalding milk due to excess lipase" thread on this board - scroll down it's still on the first page. That was really great for me when I was first trying to deal with lipase.

Also, it may help for you to do an experiment with expressed milk to see how long you have before it turns so you know if you have to scald when it needs to be done by.

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBJulAug98p109.html

heres just a little blip form that link

In a few cases, mothers have reported that their milk began to smell soapy as soon as it cooled, regardless of whether it had been frozen. "When these mothers heated their milk to a scald (not boiling) and then quickly cooled and froze it," writes Lawrence, "the effect was not apparent and their infants accepted the heat treated milk. That process inactivated the lipase (fat-digesting enzyme) and halted the process of fat digestion." However, high heating may lower some nutrient levels, including ascorbic acid (vitamin C). If the milk already smells sour, heating will have no effect on flavor or smell. Milk that smells rancid likely is, and should be discarded.

Quote Originally Posted by jasminec View Post
    I have been drinking lactaid milk because of my baby's sensitivity to an excess of dairy in my diet and have slowly been reintroducing dairy products...I consume cheese, etc. but not in large quantities.
    Hi there - I cannot speak to the lipase issue - or antyhing relating to pumping or scalding

but I did want to comment on the above portion of your thread... if there is a dairy sensitivity or allergy - Lactaid will not help as that is just lactose free. It is not lactose that is a bother to the baby - causing the sensitivity - it is the protiens in the dairy product itself. Know what I mean? Your BM has lactose in it.

ETA this quote - from this page...

If your baby is sensitive to dairy in your diet, it will not help to switch to lactose-free dairy products. The problem is the cow’s milk proteins, not the lactose. Cooking dairy products may reduce but will not eliminate the allergens.
    Last edited by Number3; February 5th, 2007 at 12:35 PM.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

In RE to: Lactaid will not help as that is just lactose free. It is not lactose that is a bother to the baby - causing the sensitivity - it is the protiens in the dairy product itself. Know what I mean? Your BM has lactose in it.

Yes, I understand and thank you for your feedback. I too agree, and don't understand why it works for me. But this is my third baby and I had to do this will all of them. What is odd is that (and I have tried this recently without any other dietary change) if I drink one glass of regular milk, he becomes very gassy, fussy, and his stool turns green. This exact same thing happened with my other two children. Odd as it may be, and illogical I agree, it seems to work. However, if you have any insight for me as to why I am all ears. I limit my dairy drinking to one glass of lactaid per day...normally I'm a one gallon a day person. I even tried one glass of regular milk per day and it didn't help. They were all still suffering from it.

In regards to the lipase. Thank you everyone. I have started scalding my milk immediatley. Do I have to freeze it or can I just put it in the fridge. after cooling it?

Thanks again to everyone as your help has really made things clearer.

hmm - I dunno! But if that works then great!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

I scald at work so what I do now is: pump, scald (in the bottle warmer), cool in air for a minute or two (uncapped), then I put the bottle in a larger container of mostly ice and water (uncapped until I am done wiping off all the pump parts, then I cap it) then put it in the fridge at work. I started doing the ice water thing because I felt the cooling was more efficient than just sticking it in the fridge especially since so many people are opening and shutting the door all day long.

I have found my scalded milk can go as long as 9 days in a fridge w/o and issue (it may be capable of doing more but I felt 9 days was already way longer than I'd ever need). I have rebuilt a good frozen stash and we've tried milk that was 3 months old and it was ok too.

Everyone's situation is a little different though - so you may need to do a little experimenting to find what works for you. When I did my 9 day thing I just kept the same bottle and tried it every day or so by pouring a tiny bit on a spoon then tasting it. I did the same with a freshly expressed bottle of milk too and that's when I learned mine has to be scalded within about 4 hours or its soap city.

Let us know if scalding helps your milk to last longer.