Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Chunky milk, what is it, why, how to fix???

Default Chunky milk, what is it, why, how to fix???

Ok. I am a working mom who pumps 3xday for dd. I pump 12 oz per day and use it for the next day's feeding. On Friday, I have to scald my milk to get it to last until Monday (yes, I am one of those high lipase mamas). Here is what happens...

I scald to exactly 160 degrees (I use a thermometer). I then place my milk in the fridge. The milk then forms a very thick layer on top. When I pour the milk on Monday, I get big chunks. Even if I shake the milk to death (I know, I shouldn't shake, but the immune factors are already gone from scalding) I still have chunks. Now, when the milk is heated, the chunks seem to disappear.

So what am I dealing with? Am I making BM butter??? The milk doesn't taste bad or anything, I am just trying to figure it out. I find that if I let the milk sit at room temp to cool down for an hour or so, then put it in the fridge, it forms less chunks. I want to fix this because during the next school year, dd will be starting back to daycare at 15mo and I would like to continue pumping to send her a sippy of cold milk to drink. I don't think she will like the cold chunks!

Any help is appreciated!
    Leann

Default Re: Chunky milk, what is it, why, how to fix???

Scalding doesn't kill all the immune factors.

If you're shaking the milk vigorously, you very well could be making breastmilk butter. Otherwise, I would think that you're seeing fat globules sticking together. Gently warming should help them dislodge and homogenize back into the milk. I have no suggestions for serving cold, though I see why you would be thinking ahead on the topic.

Hi - I get the chunkies too but I really think it is just the fats separating so I don't worry about it and DS is fine. Especially since the swirled warmed milk looks good I figure it has to be the fats. Although I noticed before when I went to 160 sometimes there was a bit of a thin milk film that formed on top. I now do 145 for one minute in the bottle warmer (vs 160 for 15 seconds) - this has helped with the film thing.

Mine is chunky when cold, and I do not scald it. It is the fat, or cream, that separates out and rises up, I'm pretty sure. When I warm it, it all comes back together. I don't think that breastmilk can be served cold, but if I have a bottle in my diaper bag for an hour or two when out and about, it seems to come back together at room temperature with the jostling it gets in the bag over my shoulder.

I do not have the lipase issue or have to scald, but I also get the separation and it is indeed cream rising to the top of the milk. Not so much "chunks" but definitely thicker parts. If the milk is cold it's very hard to get that to go away. If it warms a little, even to colder than room temp, by rolling or holding it just a little bit in my hands, the cream breaks up and mixes in better.

Quote Originally Posted by csan View Post
    I now do 145 for one minute in the bottle warmer (vs 160 for 15 seconds) - this has helped with the film thing.
    I'm curious how you maintain a constant temp using a bottle warmer? When I've used a bottle warmer to scald it seems like the temp just continues to keep going up.

Thanks!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Good point. The temp. does keep rising; it's not constant. When the temp. reaches 145 I start my one minute timer - often by the end of the minute the temp. is up to 153-158 ish or so. But since the footnotes on the kellymom page r.e. lipase mentioned that the lipase can be inactivated by 145 for one minute I figure that as long as mine was at least 145 for a minute it should be ok. Plus, since I'm scalding at work doing this lower temperature helps me to be able to get back to my desk or the lab quicker than waiting for 160.