Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: dark leafy greens?

Default Re: dark leafy greens?

Quote Originally Posted by annie View Post
    Hmm, can I get watermelon in winter? His daddy HATES watermelon so we don't get it much.
    I can. It's so cheap. And so what? You'll be buying a bunch of stuff for your baby that you guys may not other wise eat. ( See my comments about whole grain rice and bread )

Way too lazy for formula

Annie...I was wondering because we are considering having Haylee tested for anemia. She is up so much at night and although she doens't seem unhealthy in any way, I am looking for causes. We have tried everything to help her sleep, short of cio and it is one thing that dr. sears lists on his website as a hidden cause. Was Jeremy waking a lot?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

Erin -- Hmm, I never thought of that connection. Yes, he does wake a lot, usually every 2 hours or so, although we sometimes get 3-4 hour stretches. We gave up trying to night wean at 11 months and took him into bed with us (at first waking after we're in bed). My partner can't soothe him --- he wants me and usually wants to nurse. Otherwise he seems happy and healthy during the day, curious, alert, and into everything. So we were really surprised that it turned out he was anemic.

The blood test seemed scary but it was over quickly and he cheered up with a cookie. I think it's worthwhile to get Haylee tested -- especially if there's a sleep connection. I was wondering if it's just that he is still getting so high a proportion of his nutrients from breastmilk (including night nursing) that he might not be getting enough iron from food, especially because he tosses so much.

Do her hands and feet get cold easily? That's another sign of anemia, besides the obvious ones of fatigues and irritation, which Jeremy doesn't have.

Annie

NO...she has not other obvious symptoms of anemia. And I hate the thought of another blood test. She has had a ton, done in November b/c of a very high fever that would not come down. So now she won't even let the doctor listen to her belly with a stethoscope . But I think I am going ot have to try something. Maybe bringing her to bed with me will help, but not sure i can convince dh of that at this point!

Hope your lo gets better!

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

My partner ended up being the advocate of bringing him to bed -- after several weeks of attempted night weaning in which he spent long periods holding a crying baby and trying to get him to go back to sleep. And I was falling asleep in the nursing chair for an hour or more a couple of times a night, so that wasn't working. Co-sleeping was uncomfortable at first but now I am sleeping better, although I wish he would give me a longer stretch more often. And morning wakeup is SOOOOO sweet -- he chirps and plays and pokes at our faces. His first word in the morning is usually "Dad?" (somehow his original da-da has become a real word). That warms his daddy's heart.

Anyway, maybe your ped can do a simpler finger prick test in the office, rather than a whole needle-in-the arm procedure? Mine doesn't do this, unfortunately, but from this forum it seems that many peds do. Hope you figure it out, and keep us posted!

Annie