Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dark leafy greens?

Default dark leafy greens?

Has anyone had success in getting their LO to eat dark leafy greens? If so, which ones, and how prepared? My almost-14-month-old just tested anemic and I'm trying to get more iron in him by as many natural means as possible. He likes broccoli, but NOT broccoli rabe. He has recently been at least tasting red leaf lettuce.

I haven't tried spinach yet -- mostly because I'm not sure how to prepare it for him. Spinach gets kind of funky when cooked and I think I remember reading that cooking spinach releases oxalic acid which can be digestively troubling. Does anyone know anything about that? I know several people have mentioned feeding their LOs spinach -- how do you prepare it? Just as salad with olive oil?

And have you had any success with other dark greens?

Thanks!
    Annie

Default Re: dark leafy greens?

I try to make sure there is SOMETHING green on his plate @ every meal, (Sometimes the green apple has to count.)Tonight it's broccoli and it's stir fried in grape seed oil. Along with corn, refried beans and chicken, rice and black olives.

Spinach he will take anyway. We've had some success with fresh leaves of spinach. But we also have much success with frozen spinach steamed AND I happen to love chopped canned spinach. (Hold over from child hood I guess )And last night he gobbled that down too.

I've also had success with Romaine lettuce, shredded raw cabbage , and artichokes.
    I guess these aren't leafy but much success with raw snap and snow peas as well as lima beans. HTH!

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks, that helps! That canned spinach from childhood must have contributed to your strength (of character of course! )

Annie

beats are a great source, be prepared for red stool the next day

I put fresh spinach in alot of the things I cook...stirfry, lasagna, spaghetti, omelets (sp? ), stuffing, etc. It is a great way to "hide" a really healthy food, and I like the flavor it gives things. One of my favorite meals is the omelet, with spinach, ham and feta. Yummy!

As for other greens...she likes very well cooked broccoli, peas, etc, but she can not chew uncooked leafy greens up very well yet so even though she tries them, she isn't getting much down. Not sure how to help youthere. How did you find out your lo has anemia?

Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs

Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

I give ds cooked spinach, he eats it fine. I also have started making some veggie juice we call "jungle juice". I go to the organic market and buy all organic veggies like spinach, broccoli, carrots, swiss chard... I then use mils Vitamix and blend it all with water, that's our super charged veggie juice. We add some kind of 100% juice sometimes to make it a tiny bit more palatable. I don't know if you have this option but thought I would throw it out there. HTH!

I have a great recipe for spinach but it is cooked. My mom would make it for my brother all the time because he hated all vegetables but loved this. I was low in iron last year and I juiced greens (spinach) in the juicer so it is raw. I added it to carrot juice but you could add that to something else to try to disguise the flavor. Green juices are "very" potent so you wouldn't need alot. I did wheatgrass and chlorella supplements which rebuild the blood but not something your LO would like. Chlorella is great for building the blood (in adults) but not sure about its usage with children. I read some mixed reviews on the internet. Also, have you tried prunes-they are high in iron too. They have the real soft mushy ones that are really sweet. You could chop and put them in oatmeal or something. They say apricots also contain iron. In Germany apricot nectar is a very popular drink and is delicous. You can get it at some grocery stores or Health food store.
    Did you see these links:

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/docum...ocument_id=387
    http://www.ehow.com/how_2187_eat-iron.html
    C:\Documents and Settings\David Lawrence\My Documents\My Pictures\DSC00970.jpg
    Mommy to Alexander
    Born Oct 6,2006

Oh, these are all great suggestions. Thank you, ladies!

Erin -- I found out that Jeremy has anemia when my ped ordered routine testing for iron and lead at 12 months (it's a full needle in the arm blood sample ). We didn't get around to it until a couple of weeks ago, especially since he seems healthy and vigorous. Now I admit he seems a bit pale, although active and happy. He's fine on lead but anemic, so the ped want me to give him iron drops, baby cereal, and other iron-rich foods. I'd like to do this as naturally as possible. I'm wondering whether he's anemic because he's just not eating a lot of solids -- tastes a lot but also tosses most of it unless I grind it up and spoon feed, which I'd prefer not to do. Most of his nutrition is still coming from breastmilk. I may have to do a little more spoon feeding, unfortunately. I'm also going to stop nursing before solids, so he's hungrier.

Annie
    Last edited by annie; February 5th, 2007 at 11:51 AM. Reason: typos

Oh! are we just looking for iron rich food? Watermelon is a baby favorite! Dj ate it more days than not this summer! And its' SOOO cheap! Even if he's just sucking the juice out of it you'll get the iron!

Way too lazy for formula

Hmm, can I get watermelon in winter? His daddy HATES watermelon so we don't get it much.