Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When to pump and how often? One breast or two?

Default When to pump and how often? One breast or two?

I have a 3 week old little girl and I have only pumped a couple of times so far. I've started pumping so that my partner can do one late night feed per day for me to allow me to get some extra sleep. I am very concerned about over-producing and have no idea when I should be pumping, and which breasts (both?) and lastly, how often.

A LCC in the hospital recommended that I nurse an entire breast per feeding so that she gets the hindmilk. This being the case . . . do I pump the leftovers from the one breast the baby feeds on or do I pump the opposite breast?

Do I pump until there's no more milk or just for 10 or 15 minutes? (a different LCC recommended just setting a time of 10-15 min. but I've read elsewhere that I should empty the breast)

When, during the day/night, do I pump and how often if my goal is to simply provide one feeding (5 oz) for my little girl per day? Again, I am worried about overproducing.

Sorry so long - but really looking for serious advice. Thank you!
    Last edited by droolie; February 4th, 2007 at 10:11 PM.

Default Re: When to pump and how often? One breast or two?

If you're worried about overproducing, then I'd say empty the other breast (the one that your LO didn't nurse from). Completely emptying the breast causes more milk production, so if that's not your aim then limit the pumping session to a shorter amount of time. I'm not an expert, but that's how I understand it.

My son is 6 weeks old. Im still new at this but I pumpedfor the same reason as you. My advice to you is not to stress about over-producing. It's gonna happen every so often that your breasts become more full than usual, and there's nothing you can do about it. When it comes to pumping what's worked for me is pumping whatever breast is next for feeding. Pump for as long as it would take for a regular feeding. (Don't worry about emptying the breast). Now when your partner helps out and feeds the baby say at 3 in the morning while you get some much needed sleep, whatever breast is next for feeding might become a bit engorged as you are missing that feeding. As soon as it is time for the next feeding, use that breast. In a couple of days your breasts become less engorged if you follow this kind of schedule ... well mine did ... hopefully this is the same for you.

I will say from my experience, that if you are over-producing or don't need to increase your milk, you may not want to pump to the point that you drain your breast. (It just made more for me!!) When I pump at home, I pump the other breast after a feeding. You will be able to find a rhythm with pumping after you work with it for a few weeks. And even if you only need one 5 oz. feeding, you can always freeze the other for a "rainy day"!