Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how much Fenugreek

Default how much Fenugreek

Hi
    I've had really good advice on this site before. Now I'm wondering about fenugreek to increase my milk supply. I had started to wean my DS. He's 4 months now, and only breastfeed in the morning. Since I was feeling a lot of guilt by giving up so early, I've decided to try to increase my milk supply again. It is not working to well. My son is now at an age that he gets distracted easily and very impatient if milk flow isn't fast enough, which makes me feel sad and rejected. I do pump 3-4 times a day for 5-10 min at each breast plus try to put my son at the breast as often as possible. After this long story, I'm wondering how much fenugreek I should take to help the increase. I have 500MG caplets. I'm also taking nursing tea. I'm also wonder if it really works. Anyone. thanks in advance

Default Re: how much Fenugreek

As far as I have heard, different things work for different people. I took fenugreek for a while, and my lactation consultant recommended 3 tablets, 3 times a day. When your sweat starts to smell like maple syrup, you have found the right dosage.

And, of course, keep trying to get the baby on the breast, and pump whenever you can. That will have a much bigger impact on your milk production than any dietary supplement.

My LC said to that 3 910mg capsules, 3xday, but to check the ingredient list to make sure there is no other herbs mixed in. GNC has Fenugreek in this dosage with no other herbs.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

Thank you that was helpfull. I haven't seen any results yet. How long can it take? I have another question, altough I'm not sure if it's at the right place. What is the easiest way to store ebm. Since I don't have a lot coming out at a time, can I keep adding room temp milk to storage bag which I have in the fridge, or should I cool it before adding. It takes 2 days until I have enough for a feed.

Quote Originally Posted by miguel's mom
    Thank you that was helpfull. I haven't seen any results yet. How long can it take?

It usually takes a few days to work. Like a previous poster wrote, you need to take enough so that you are smelling like maple syrup. Fenugreek does not work on its own - you also have to increase your nursing and/or pumping frequency.

I have another question, altough I'm not sure if it's at the right place. What is the easiest way to store ebm. Since I don't have a lot coming out at a time, can I keep adding room temp milk to storage bag which I have in the fridge, or should I cool it before adding. It takes 2 days until I have enough for a feed.
    Glad you asked!
    Here is the URL for the FAQ on milk storage:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/milkstorage.html

warmly,
    LLLnormaR

Re: How long will it take.

I took Fenugreek with my first born after I returned to work and the stress had an impact on my milk supply. I didn't want to supplement formula so I was pumping 3x a day at work to make sure she always had bm in her bottle. It took a good 2 weeks for my milk supply to be back to normal and that was taking the Fenugreek 3x a day. So be patient with it and stick it thru. U should see results soon!

I had to leave my baby for three weeks a few months ago. While I was away
    I kept pumping but when I returned to him, there were just drops of milk left.
    When I was breastfeeding, I took fenugreek regularly. But when I find that
    my milk has gone down abit, I would boil some fennel seeds and drinking several
    cups a day would usually get my milk back up.

But after the three week period, I found nothing worked. I then tried
    "More Milk Plus" from motherlove.com and my milk was back within 2
    weeks. So much that my clothes were getting wet due to leaks.

I remember that I was just about ready to give up. But I felt sad because
    my baby boy was just 4 months old and I had breastfed his first 2 sisters
    for 2 years and his second 2 sisters for a year.

Anyway, good luck.

~ Lina

I,ve been taking fenugreek and it never worked. I ended up having an unpleasant smell. I heard its supposed to smell like maple syrop, I thought ok thats not too bad. But its more like a fake maple smell. Anyways I stopped taking it.
    I tried putting LO at the breast every 2-3hrs for 5-10min, what ever he would tolerate. And then pump for at least 5min each breast. Could the fact that my LO has been sleeping through the night(7pm-7am)since 2 months old affect my supply. I heard that your body should regulate itself to what he needs. Should I wake up a few times in the night to pump?
    I'll give that "More Milk Plus" a try. I couldn't find it at the health food store so I'll try to order online. I really don't want to give up breastfeeding. My DS got a cold last week and I feel like if I would of been bfeeding full time it would of saved him some discomfort. And thanks everyone for your advice and support. After reading a lot of different post, I changed my goal of bfeeding from 6 months(which I couldn't hold up to) to one year. I should of never gave up in the first place. I whish I would of found this sight sooner.

You really should be able to simply increase your supply by nursing or pumping more frequently. Galactogogue's are really only effective if they're coupled with more breast stimulation. If you had a healthy milk supply before initiating the weaning process then chances are you'll be able to rebuild your supply with increased breast stimulation alone.

It's quite possible that you have increased your supply at this point. Can you tell us more about what you are doing in terms of how often baby is nursing and if you are giving supplements (how often, how much)? Many babies are just extremely efficient and can get everything they need in a matter of just a few minutes.

You needn't wake up in the night to pump -- doing so will not increase your daytime supply - it will only increase your supply at night. And once you stop pumping during that time, your supply will decrease during that time.

I think it's fantastic that your new goal is to nurse to 1 year! You're doing a great job and working so hard! Keep up the good work

I nurse every 3 hours for 5-10 min depending on my LO. He will take 4-6oz of supplement each feed. (without nursing was 6-8 oz). I also pump 5-10 min after we're done. Maybe I should try nursing more often.