Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fever

Default Fever

Well last night was was a difficult night for me and my little girl. I was awaken by my 3 month old screaming as loud as I ever heard her before. When I picked her up she felt like she was on fire. I immediately checked her temp and found that it was 102.2. I was scared to death!!

I called her MD, I was told to give her tylenol and re-check her temp in 1 hour, if it had not dropped any or continued to go up I had to take her to the emergency room.

Well I checked it after one hour and it had dropped to 101.1. This baby was red, screaming and would not let me lay her down for one minute. I fed her, that seemed to calm her some and she went to sleep. But anytime I tried the lay her down she would wake up screaming again. All she wanted to do was sleep on my shoulder. So of coarse, I let her.

I will follow up with her Doctor Monday but I'm wondering whats wrong with her. She had a sore throat about 3 weeks ago, to young for antibotics, and was treated with tylenol only. But she didn't have a fever then, only pain, esp with swallowing.

She's always had sinus drainage, I've noticed a slight increase over the past couple of days. She has been feeding well. She's had an occ cough, but has had that for a while, I was told it was normal. For the past week, I have noticed that her stools were somewhat more formed and a slight decrease in amout but still goes every day. Urinating well, large amouts, don't think thats the problem.

I had posted last week that she has acting like she was starting to teeth, but someone posted the "gumming phase" which I can easily believe could be the case. But she does seem unfomfortable at times with gumming.

I take my girl to the doctor often, with acid reflux, increased sinus drainage, regular check-up, sore throat and I am tired of watching them poke at her. They draw blood and make her cry. All of her labs always come back good, she's had a chest xray in the past, checked for strep throat, VRE, and I can't think of what else.

If she is too young of antibotics, and they are only going to treat her with tylenol, should I let them continue to poke at her this way? Her fever has been better all day with the help of tylenol, she is sleeping alot, but alert, smiles some and feeding well. What would you all do? What do you think could be causing her fever?

Default Re: Fever

Aww, poor little babydoll! It's awful when our LOs aren't right

Seems a lot of mamas are having to deal with sickies right now. One of the best things I've read and been told is to "Treat the baby, not the fever" If your LO doesn't seem like she's in pain/distress and the fever stays low (under 104), you don't need to medicate (though I think we all would...). As you know, fever is your body's way of killing off the virus. If your LO's fever responds to fever reducers (I recommend Motrin b/c it lasts up to 8 hours...less dosing is good!) that's a good thing, too. You can also use a cool washcloth and strip your girl down to her diaper to keep her cool. I wouldn't continue getting tests done, personally, unless I felt there was something REALLY WRONG WITH HER. And since you say she's otherwise alert, happy and just a little more tired than usual, it sounds like she's doing pretty well for a sick baby!

We dealt with a fever of 103 that stuck around for a whopping 7 days but there were no other symptoms or problems and her fever would go down when we gave her Motrin. Turned out it was probably roseola, though we never saw a rash.

Good luck, Lizzy, and keep us posted.
    Last edited by @llli*evin; February 4th, 2007 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Evin View Post
    Aww, poor little babydoll! It's awful when our LOs aren't right

Seems a lot of mamas are having to deal with sickies right now. One of the best things I've read and been told is to "Treat the baby, not the fever" If your LO doesn't seem like she's in pain/distress and the fever stays low (under 104), you don't need to medicate (though I think we all would...). As you know, fever is your body's way of killing off the virus. If your LO's fever responds to fever reducers (I recommend Motrin b/c it lasts up to 8 hours...less dosing is good!) that's a good thing, too. You can also use a cool washcloth and strip your girl down to her diaper to keep her cool. I wouldn't continue getting tests done, personally, unless I felt there was something REALLY WRONG WITH HER. And since you say she's otherwise alert, happy and just a little more tired than usual, it sounds like she's doing pretty well for a sick baby!

We dealt with a fever of 103 that stuck around for a whopping 7 days but there were no other symptoms or problems and her fever would go down when we gave her Motrin. Turned out it was probably Roseola, though we never saw a rash.
    Good luck, Lizzy, and keep us posted.

It's funny you posted that. The other night while changing my tots diaper, i noticed a odd looking rash on my girls cheeks (on her face). It looked like you could see tiny little veins running through her cheeks, one side more than the other and possibly some swelling. It lasted a few hours, decreased some but her cheeks have not fully recovered. No others areas of discoloration or rash noted. Do you think this could be related to the fever we are seeing now?

I completey agree about the tests. The last time we took Sophie to the Doctor my husband was crying so hard the nurse started crying, my baby was crying and I didn't know what to do!!!

Does anyone know if the pink cheek thing is a sign of teething. I think I heard that. Sorry to hear about your baby being sick, I know its scarey
    I took my lo into a luke warm bath with me every few hours when he had a fever. Big hug

How scary for you! It's rough when our little ones have fevers!

A PP suggested Motrin....I'm no doc, but you might want to hold off on that until your baby is 6 months or older (unless a doc recommends it). It says on the label not to use for babies under 6 months. I'm a big fan of Motrin, since it seems to work so well, but you might want to ask your doc if you are thinking about using it.

I've never heard of not being able to use antibiotics when babies are young. I guess I'm out of the loop! Of course, I never had one that needed them at that young age, so that would explain it!

Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by ljgrile View Post

A PP suggested Motrin....I'm no doc, but you might want to hold off on that until your baby is 6 months or older (unless a doc recommends it). It says on the label not to use for babies under 6 months.

Lisa
    Oh, a very good point! I didn't even think of that; I'm so in the 10-month old life now! Lizzy, definitely call your ped to see if s/he recommends Motrin or Tylenol and what dosage.

Thanks for posting that, Lisa!

We were in the same boat that Evin was in...we had a fever that lasted more than a week...off and on. He got the roseola rash all over his body...looked like a spotted leopard. Try to remember mama that a fever can be a very good thing. It is the body's way of fighting off infection. Of course we have to watch for signs of a serious infection (lethargy, listless, dehydration, stiff neck and back, etc) but an otherwise asymptomatic fever just means your DD's body is doing its job.

It is cold and flu season, and even though we are BFing, our babies can get sick...I read that the healthy infant can get up to 10 colds the first year...and that's a HEALTHY baby. Try to keep her comfortable...bath, light or no clothing, tylenol, cool wash rag, lots of hugs and cuddles...and lots of mamma milk! If there was something seriously wrong....there will be lots of other obvious signs besides just a fever.

Its also not just the temp either...watch the behavior....A baby with 104 temp that is running around playing, otherwise happy even if slowed up a bit is much better off than a baby with 101 fever that is listless and lethargic, no energy to cry or play. You have to put a fever in context with the overall big picture. I know that's hard to remember though, we love our LO's so much. I usually don't take Shiloh's temp more than once or twice a day if he's feverish....if I notice he's hot I take him into a tepid bath, put on some light clothing, and make sure he's hydrated. If he still seems hot, I'll take a temp and give some tylenol. But it usually doesn't matter what the temp is unless it has other symptoms, KWIM?

Good luck and let us know how she's doing.

Leslie
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Lots of good advice on this thread, thank you mommies!!!

Well I think I have narrowed down the problem to sinus and throat issues. If she doesn't get her tylenol she doesn't want to swallow, her little throat must hurt. Her little nose has been getting so full that I've had to suction her 3-4 times a day. But, if her nose is clean and her throat isn't hurting, she's fine.

She's drinking well, smiling and playing. but she wants her mommy. Daddy doesn't seem to satisify her right now.

I did however, call the doctor, informed them of the activities this past weekend, her symptoms now and what I've been doing for her. She said to call back if her fever goes back up, or she stops feeding.

About the tylenol vs motrin...I rather give motrin because it does last longer, but my doctor doesn't recommend it at this age because they say its harder on the stomach, but heck, tylenol can affect the liver, so I don't know, I guess it depends on what doctor you ask. I might buy some motrin.

I agree that a low grade fever can benefit my baby, But if I don't give something for pain she will not feed well, she just lets it run out of her mouth. So what do I do?

I'd give the Tylenol if it means your LO will feed. As long as you're following the dosing instructions, it's a safe medicine.

Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by ljgrile View Post
    I'd give the Tylenol if it means your LO will feed. As long as you're following the dosing instructions, it's a safe medicine.

Lisa
    Thanks Lisa!!!!

I have the keep my eyes on the goal......feeding!