Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Husband wasting breast milk

Angry Husband wasting breast milk

My DH keeps heating a large bottle of breast milk (8oz) when my LO will only drink 2-3oz! The rest gets wasted! What can I do (other than strangle my husband)? I have asked him not to Many times but he sees my freezer stash of milk and thinks we have plenty and I will always make more so it is no big deal! It is one of the main things we fight about and it is driving me crazy! HELP!

Default Re: Husband wasting breast milk

tell him he has to drink the leftovers!
    can you freeze smaller portions?
    leave only one bottles worth and hide the rest??
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

i'm sorry for your frustrations, but i had to laugh at this. my husband does the same sort of things. i'm constantly having to dump milk down the drain, and i want to cry! (not anymore....we finally got the hang of breastfeeding, and there's no more need for bottles at the moment) i think the previous advice is perfect, though. i had to pre-measure just the right amount and make it fool proof. although....sometimes that only made me realize how big of a fool i was dealing with :P

When I saw the title, I thought it said Husband wants breastmilk.....anyway, I had the same problem with him for awhile. I started to hide the breastmilk in the freezer (it was easy since we have a regular freezer and a deep freeze) and I told him it was running low and almost out, he quit wasting it....

hi there! you can re-use the leftover milk! here's a link with more information.
    Reusing expressed breastmilk

i do it and dd doesn't have a problem with it. if she doesn't take it the second time around, then i dump whatever is remaining. of course, as the pp stated, it's better to store/warm up smaller portions of EBM!

HTH!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

Quote Originally Posted by 1sttimemom View Post
    My DH keeps heating a large bottle of breast milk (8oz) when my LO will only drink 2-3oz!
    How about get rid of (or hide) the large bottles and only have small bottles available? I know that Avent has 4 oz bottles, but don't know about other brands.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)