Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Is this an allergy or intollerance?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    168

    Default Is this an allergy or intollerance?

    I've noticed when I give my 10 month old milk products like yougurt and cottage cheese, he seems to have mushy poos. They are not runny or watery and he doesn't keep going, but I was wondering if this means those foods are hard on his system? Or could it just be that the days I'm giving him those foods are also the days he's into nursing more so his poos are more like breastmilk poos. What are your baby's poos like when they're still nursing every 3 or 4 hours and are also eating solids?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,492

    Default Re: Is this an allergy or intollerance?

    That's a good question. In fact, two weeks ago I gave DD some yoghurt for two days, noticed a little redness on her bum and what seemed to be some possible tummy discomfort, so I cut it out. The redness could have been just run-of-the-mill diaper rash, but I didn't want to push it with the dairy. I'm going to try it again this coming week to see if the same thing happens. I hope you get some more definitive answers from some mamas who may have better info...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,178

    Default Re: Is this an allergy or intollerance?

    I guess I'm not sure about the allergy issue...I would think if it were a full blown allergy there would be a rash or some discomfort to accompany the mushy diapers.

    Since your baby is just 10 mos. old, you could try to just eliminate the yogurt and cottage cheese and go another couple of months and re-introduce it again if it concerns you.

    With us, my DH had cow's milk allergies as a child for years, so with our kids, we've taken the stance that they don't get any cow's milk, yogurt, cheese, or cottage cheese or ice cream until 12 mos. Alot of people say you can give yogurt and cheese at 9 mos., but we choose not to and give the kids a few extra months for their digestive systems to mature. Who knows, it may not make any difference in the 3 extra months we wait, but we do anyway just in case. It made sense to us that since alot of kids with cow's milk allergies/intollerances seem to outgrow it, that there's usually a point where the body is mature enough to handle it...and we wait out those extra 3 mos. just to help that out...so we've done everything in our power to make sure we aren't contributing to an allergy or intollerance.

    Another thought for you, is that the yogurt might be a safer choice to try for awhile by itself...mixed with baby's favorite fruit maybe? I could be wrong, but it seems like the cottage cheese might be more harsh on the scale of dairy than yogurt...especially since yogurt has all that good bacteria... That way, you wouldn't necessarily need to eliminate all dairy, but just see which of the 2 is causing the poo differences. If you find it is the cottage cheese, you could just go down to only yogurt for another couple of months and try the cottage cheese later on again.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,178

    Default Re: Is this an allergy or intollerance?

    Just to clarify, we do allow our 10 mo. old baby to eat foods that have a little bit of milk cooked in them at this point...just not straight dairy of any kind.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    168

    Default Re: Is this an allergy or intollerance?

    Great thoughts. Thank you! Mommie of 2, are cooked milk products supposed to be okay even if you have an allergy or are they just sort of "denatured"?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    8,591

    Default Re: Is this an allergy or intollerance?

    If it is a true milk allergy, it won't matter if the foods are cooked or not, it will still cause a reaction. It is true that yogurt is the easiest of dairy products to digest because the bacteria in yogurt aide in all kinds of digestion, including the digestion of the yogurt itself. It does not sound like an allergy, but it does sound like it might be an intolerance. Then again, it might not be. If your baby is not uncomfortable, there is no blood in the stool, and there is no rash, I would guess it is coincedental, but that is just my guess. I think the idea of removing the cottage cheese from the diet and trying just yogurt is an excellent one.

    HTH!

    Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs


    Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

    January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

    227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    168

    Default Re: Is this an allergy or intollerance?

    Where do cream cheese and sour cream fit in on the scale of "easiest diary to digest?"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    8,591

    Default Re: Is this an allergy or intollerance?

    They are likely the same as cottage cheese. The only reason taht yogurt is easier is because it contains bacteria that aide in digestion. I would feed the yogurt and hold off on the rest, until you see if that is the cause. Or, if baby is not uncomfortable with no blood in the stool and no rash, go for all processed dairy.

    Erin
    Wife to a grizzly
    Mama to my little deer (12/05) my loving bear cub (9/07--), and our little tiger (3/22/10)
    Born by one c-section and 2 amazing VBACs


    Miles in 2012: 350.5/900 (Actual Miles Ran: 189)
    Miles in 2011: 708.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 509)
    Miles in 2010: 800.5 (Actual Miles Ran: 620)

    January Miles: 37.5/75
    February Miles: 59/75
    March Miles: 42.5/60
    April Miles: 64
    May Miles: 41/70
    June Miles: 59
    July Miles: 39.5

    227.5 miles on my new shoes
    338 miles on my old shoes

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    2,178

    Default Re: Is this an allergy or intollerance?

    Great thoughts. Thank you! Mommie of 2, are cooked milk products supposed to be okay even if you have an allergy or are they just sort of "denatured"?
    Like EpBrown said, if its a true milk allergy, it won't matter whether or not the milk is cooked into something. We just choose (for our kids due to DH's allergy as a boy) that we don't give them actual dairy until 12 mos. on the premise that we're hoping that giving their little intestines a few extra months to mature will lesson their risk of developing a milk allergy if we could've prevented one, since DH had one. The reason we let them have products with a bit of dairy cooked in them prior to that, is that we have to start somewhere, and for us, we decided that might be easier on their stomachs than actual dairy. Although, its possible that yogurt wouldn't make them any more likely to get an allergy or intolerance, we are just waiting out the extra month and a week now.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    245

    Default Re: Is this an allergy or intollerance?

    I am not sure about the allergy/intolerance issue either - honestly in many cases moms just have to go with their guts.
    Just wanted to point out couple of things.
    There is a scale about most allergenic to least allergenic foods. You can see which dairy type foods are safest to start with. The only thing I don't like about the scale is that there is no age associated with it. Anyways, here it is:
    Joneja Food Allergen Scale
    Also, in some cases, there is a delayed reaction to foods (I guess that's what's called intolerance), which means it might take hours to days for a reaction to develop. In addition to that, in some cases people/babies need to be exposed to the allergen for a certain amount of time before a reaction occurs.
    So that's why it is so difficult to figure out whether there is an allergy/intolerance going on, and that's why it is very important to be careful when introducing new foods and foods that might cause allergy/intolerance.
    Also, I am not medicaly proficient in any way
    My suggestion is to talk to your pedi if you have any concerns that your LO might be reacting to something.
    HTH

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •