Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: the disobediant tongue

Question the disobediant tongue

and yet....another challenge! just when i thought we were working out all our issues and getting into a good b/f pattern my 4 wo is now putting his tongue over my nipple! he started this yesterday on both sides but after repeated tries he seems to be correcting himslef on the right but not on the left. so i am back to one-sided nusring and pumping on the left.

i am wondering if he will just get over this on his own or if there is something i can do to "remind" him how to nurse.

any thoughts?

thanks
    kim

in 4 weeks i have had more "issues" with this baby then the 4 combined years of nursing my other two - strange.

Default Re: the disobediant tongue

How can you tell that DC is putting their tongue above the nipple instead of below? Because just this past week my DD has been doing something different with her latch. I've been doing the same exact thing... the outside of the latch looks the same. But something definately feels different on the inside.

when i break his latch by putting my finger in the corner of his mouth and open his mouth i can look in and see his tongue behind and over my nipple instead of under it.

is you baby still eating well? do you have any soreness or anything? can you describe what you are feeling?
    kim

Kim, will your baby suck on your pinky finger? Nail down against his tongue (otherwise it will scrape on the roof of his mouth).

I'm just hesitantly recommending this because I've read a mention somewhere of helping to re-train a baby's tongue after having the frenulum clipped to correct tongue-tie. Something about how the tongue should "wrap" around the pinky finger, and when the baby gets tired and stops wrapping, stop and rest. But I haven't done this myself and haven't seen a thorough explanation of it.

Have you been working with an IBCLC? Could you contact one to ask about this new development in your baby's latch? I hope you can get good advice quickly from someone more knowledgeable than I am.

--Rebecca

Hello,

If what you mean is that your baby is pushing your nipple out with the tongue, I had the exact same problem. It took me A LOT OF time and PATIENCE and my little girl finally has it right, but it took her about 1 1/2 months. I saw a lactation nurse quite a few times, and I did some exercises w/ the baby. I would look at her and stick my tongue out on the bottom of my mouth, and she would mimick me after a while. Also, I bought her a CYLINDER pacifier and it taught her how to suck so she had to keep her tongue down, and it worked!

It took a lot of hard work and patience, but she is now 10 weeks old and nursing GREAT! I went from horrible bleeding nipples and excruciating pain...and I just kept telling myself to stick it out, and now breastfeeding is going GREAT!

Good luck!!!!!