Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not too late?

Unhappy Not too late?

Hi all. My son is 7 weeks old and not latching on well. I had the same problem with his older sister, who finally latched well at 7 weeks and nursed happily for two years.

I have very large nipples, which seem to be the problem. My son will latch on after some effort (if he's in a happy mood), but then gags and pulls off after a suck or two. My daughter was the same way. I was hoping that with my son I'd have better luck, as he's bigger than she was and I'm more experienced at nursing now than I was then.

So, I'm pumping at least 6 times a day and feeding my son with Avent bottles. I try him at the breast daily, but he gets upset and frustrated, and I worry that he will reject the breast completely after so much frustration. Any advice? Anyone else with a similar history? I really feel sad about not nursing my son.

Thanks,
    Kim

Default Re: Not too late?

Congratulations on your new son! Oh gosh, you have to be so frustrated and sad. Good for you wanting to nurse him and pumping and all- that's a lot of work for a new mom, and so good for your son to have your breastmilk.

Have you tried calling a local La Leche League leader to come and look at your latch? Or seen a Lactation Consultant? Most hospitals have at least one on-staff lactation consultant- do you have one at the hospital you delivered with (did you deliver at a hospital?) A lot of times they will let you come in with your LO and see you free of charge just to help you get going well. Or WIC has Lactation consultants- not sure if they will see you for free or if they will charge you if you don't have WIC as part of your healthcare.

Sometimes it just helps to have someone there with you to watch and consult with. From reading on these boards, though, there are several moms who weren't able to BF for a while into their babies' lives (esp. ones that were in the NICU) so you aren't too late!

Hang in there! Hopefully others will come along on your post and make some suggestions, too.

NAK.

We went through quite a while where we were EP and are now getting back into BFing. It's a little bit of a challenge, but my LC assures me she's seen babies as old as 3 mos. make the switch back. Hang in there! Some day soon, you and I will be experts on the topic!

I'm going to move this to relactation. The ladies there should have some excellent tips for persuading baby to take the breast.
    Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Hi Kim,
    Wow, how difficult for you the second time around! Kudos to you for sticking it out. Your ds is a lucky baby!

I would first echo the PP by asking if you have been seen by anyone. LC? LLL Leader? Unfortunately it is just so difficult for us to give accurate help if we can't see you.

I can tell you that an analogy I do like is this:
    Open up the restaurant, turn on the lights, and seat baby at the table with the food in front of him. In other words: lots of skin-to-skin, any and all times you can. Remove your shirt and strip him to the diaper and just hang out with him on your chest as much as you can. The more he is there, the more interested he will become. Also, co-bathing and co-sleeping have helped many moms in your situation. They just provide further opportunities for baby to partake of the breast.

It can take weeks or even a couple of months for a baby to "grow into" moms nipple size. If you can hang in there a little bit longer, you will hopefully be rewarded, as was the case with your daughter.

Let us know how it is going for you!

Smile Re: Not too late? update

Hi all,

Thanks so much the the encouragement! Sean has a renewed interest in nursing these past few days, so I feel like we are almost there! He's trying to latch on several times a day, and has had some success. I know he's almost got it! I will look for a LLL meeting in my area for some personal help, but I really appreciate your input. I'll keep you posted!

Kim

Good news! Definitely keep us posted!

Default Re: Not too late? New problem. Upset!!

Hi all,

Sean has had runny, green, sometimes mucusy stools for almost a week. Otherwise, he looks/acts great. However, the past two days, there has been some blood in the runny stools (three times so far).

Today his pediatrician said he probably has a milk protein allergy.

He's been on expressed breastmilk almost exclusively for the past several days, and was on some formula (3-6 ounces of Similac Advance per day) before that. He did have about 3 ounces of formula last night.

The doctor said to use only Enfamil Nutramigen (milk-free) to supplement when necessary. Sounds Ok, as I hope to just give him breastmilk.

However, if he still has blood in the stool after one week, I am suppposed to
    stop giving him breastmilk entirely and switch to Nutramigen for one week. This is the part that's really upsetting me, as it starts to sink in what that means.

I've been pumping milk for 8 weeks now for what? To make my baby sick? He was just trying to latch on these past few days. Also, she said the Nutramigen tastes pretty bad.

Can he really be allergic to my milk, or is it an allergy to something I'm eating? What should I avoid?

Finally, if the blood is still there after two weeks, the doc wants to order a colonoscopy to rule out polyps!

I would really appreciate any advice you all may have.

thanks.
    kim

Wow, kim. I'm sorry you all are having such a rough time!

I'm not a doctor but.........I would think it is the formula and not your breast milk that is causing the bleeding! It may be a good idea to cut milk out of your diet for a while just in case. My sil had to while she was nursing her son because of his allergy to the milk protein.(I believe it takes 2 weeks for the proteins to be completely gone from your body) Your breast milk is made for your baby way better than any formula! That's just mho and understanding from everything I've read. If you have to try him on the formula for a week I would keep pumping as you don't want to loose your supply.

Have you found a LLL group near you? The leaders may have some ideas about dairy in your diet and what to cut out. I'm not sure about cheese and stuff.

You are doing really great hanging in there. I know how hard it is to have to pump, wash the pump, wash the bottles, warm the bottles, fall asleep while pumping, have a baby scream at your breast instead of nurse it My son finally figured it out at 4 weeks. 2 things I had to use for a while were a supplemental feeder with formula in it and also a nipple shield. I'd put the shield on and latch him then a minute later take it off and try to trick him into latching on again. It finally worked one time and I didn't have to use it again.

Good luck! Let us know what's happening!