Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Avent Isis

Default Avent Isis

Can anyone give me some feedback on the Avent Isis manual pump?

I have to give back my Madela Symphoney rental (too expensive) and need something good because I have milk supply issues.

I've read some positive reviews about the Isis. Anyone using one?

Thanks!

Default Re: Avent Isis

I love my Isis. I initially used an electric pump, and found no difference in terms of the amounts I pumped and the time it took to pump. The only thing I didn't like about the pump was the little star valves - they wear really quick and come dislodged while pumping. I've posted a few times about switching the isis valves with the ones made for the avent IQ UNO pump. They are compatable with all avent pumps and work much better.
    If you've been researching this pump, you probably found alot of people say it's hard to put together. The first few times it's a bit tricky, but now, I can put it together in the dark no problem. It's also really handy if you're going to be pumping in the night, since you can bring in right into bed. I usually doze off a bit while pumping. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by Ebbie View Post
    Can anyone give me some feedback on the Avent Isis manual pump?

I have to give back my Madela Symphoney rental (too expensive) and need something good because I have milk supply issues.

I've read some positive reviews about the Isis. Anyone using one?

Thanks!
    I LOVE mine! It really helps if you ever get engorged, because you can look through the plastic and see if you need to go harder or softer ect. its terrific and small, easy to break down and wash!

Now I'm in a pickle.... Returned the Symphony pump and LC at hospital says all manual pumps would be a waste of money for me since I work fulltime and have a low milk supply.

She said the Isis is more for sahms.

Now I don't know what to do AND I have no pump!

Should I spend the money on the Isis or go broke and rent the Symphony again? Any suggestions?

tia

I have the isis duo and totally love it. Occasionally I have to use the manual pump that camp with it and have had NO problems with that.

I love my Isis pump. It is a back-up just in case my electric one has a problem or i just need a quick pump. I would reccommed investing in a dual electric pumpif possible. It may be cheaper to buy one. I am a full-time working mom too and I dealt with low milk supply. I use the Playtex Embrace and have been able to increase my supply. The pump doesn't include "increasing supply" like the hospital grade pump do but I couldn't use the Medela so I didn't have much of a choice. HTH!

The only thing I don't like about my Avent pump is that the horns only come in one size. I think I really needed the next size up.

I love the ISIS, and I've used for some fairly heavy duty pumping. While traveling I used it to keep up my supply (pumping 6-8 times a day) and for a while I was using it 3-4 times a day (morning, evening, and a couple of times at work). Now I've cut out the morning and evening pump and only use it 1-2 times a day while in the office. I've found it to be very efficient, great for traveling, and really easy to put together. I agree that the only problem is those STUPID valves. I've worn out so many of them that I used up their spares, bought a second pump (in an emergency) and then called AVENT and got them to send me three extras for free. I'm glad to hear the tip about the UNO valves. In any case, I really like the intimacy of the manual pump -- I can control speed and stroke and it feels closer to the baby. It's also the way I really came to understand the letdown reflex, which was kind of a mystery to me before seeing how it worked in the transparent pump.

Annie

I also love my manual Avent Isis and I have never been a SAHM. I pumped over 20 oz per day with that thing for a while. I often chose to use instead of my Ameda PY double electric-that's how great the output was for me. That said, I'm not sure how it would be for increasing low supply...a hospital grade pump is usually recommended for that, right? Maybe a leader can speak to that?

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on