Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mesh Feeders

Default Mesh Feeders

My MIL just gave me one of those mesh feeders. Does anyone use them and if so, what do you put in them? Thanks.
    Mama to Andrew 6-20-06
    My angel in heaven, Benjamin William 11-2-07 to 11-5-07
    Kaitlyn 6-12-09

Default Re: Mesh Feeders

Put any soft food in them. Strawberries, bananas, avocados, carrots ( make sure it's kind of mushy).

i put frozen applesauce cubes in there to help with teething....but when i tried biting on that bag it kind of tastes like a net...not very appealing!! ds could take it or leave it really....the stuff thats mushy like the pp said i just give to him in little pieces he can pick up
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

We used these for several months. It was nice to know that DD couldn't choke on anything in there. Frozen fruits were her favorite in it.

I recently got one of these mesh feeders for DD. She likes it. I put bannana in it and she loved it. But my question is, how do you clean these things? The bannana won't come all out when I clean it. I tried boiling it in the microwave and still there is food in it. Any suggestions?

Put any soft food in them. Strawberries, bananas, avocados, carrots ( make sure it's kind of mushy
    Just FYI for moms out there, but STRAWBERRIES are usually on the list of foods that you should NOT feed to baby until after 12mos. or later. There is a big allergy risk with that food, and I believe the reasoning for waiting for all babies, is that the allergic reaction that many times accompanies a strawberry allergy is VERY SEVERE and sometimes causes death, similar to a peanut/peanut butter allergy. We're not talking a little rash here, but a reaction that can require epi shots if I understood it right from a lady with a strawberry allergy.

Our pediatrition actually tipped us off to this one, as it is in Gerber jarred baby foods as well as other brands of jarred baby foods...in the pureed stuff that is really only appropriate for babies under 12 mos. onld anyway... Our ped. cautioned us to really check the labels on those jarred foods to be sure strawberries are not an ingredient before 12 mos. of age, and then introduce them by themselves like you do when baby is starting any new food.

As far as the mesh feeders go, we've never tried them for 2 reasons. #1, baby misses out on all the fiber in fruit or whatever is in the feeder, and #2 they looked really difficult to keep clean.

For the last poster with the problem feeder...have you tried a baby toothbrush after soaking the feeder in warm water? Maybe with a mild abrasive like baking soda? But make sure to rinse very well...that'd probably cause excess burps if baby took in too much baking soda.

Quote Originally Posted by kci3673 View Post
    I recently got one of these mesh feeders for DD. She likes it. I put bannana in it and she loved it. But my question is, how do you clean these things? The bannana won't come all out when I clean it. I tried boiling it in the microwave and still there is food in it. Any suggestions?
    I think there meant to be thrown away when that happens. I know when we bought ours the "baby safe Feeder" brand it can with extra bags so that what i thought. but what do i know dd isnt even on solids yet.
    Newly Pregnant momma to My little Miss Gracie with a little sibling on the way.

I think I'd pitch out the feeder you had bananas in- that's kind of a tough food to put in there and clean back out (fun to squish out for the baby, though!) We use grapes a lot and pears in our feeders. Aaron loves them and I can give it to him while I prepare dinner and occupy him with a little bit of juice from these fruits.

We got major thumbs down on the feeder from our son. The only thing we've really used it for was to put ice cubes in when he was teething or a couple times when he fell and hit his mouth (inevitable part of learning to pull up, stand or walk). For eating, he just wants the food straight up!