Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help from some long BFS!

Default Need some help from some long BFS!

I posted a question in infant forum the other day and got only 2 responses and just kinda thought it maybe get a few other feed backs since you have all done this longer here So heres my question. I have a 9mo old going on 10 months and he has taken the liking to nipple twiddling, or pinching as it is, because sometimes it can hurt. I never used a nursing necklace because unfortunaly didn't hear about any such thing till a few months ago and he wasn't doing this. I just was wondering if it's too late to try it now and if anyone has been able to introduce it succesfully at such at late age. I wanna make it to a year plus but with the biting and now twiddling it seems hard, the only thing that keeps me going is that he won't take a bottle(fortunate for him) haha. I really want to go over a year and it's been so hard and he's my last!

Default Re: Need some help from some long BFS!

Hi there. :

My thoughts : its never too late to try something new. Might as well give it a shot. This doesn't come from experience, mind you, just figure its worth a try.

Hope it works out for ya
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

ITs ok just to say no.. that hurts mommy!
    that does the trick sometimes with the pinching.
    You can try giving them something to hold also, some kids like something soft and some like hard things..
    My dd just likes skin.. So I have to tell her nearly every time you pinch and your done.
    shes older so she understands.

I got used to holding my forearm up against my other nipple so that DS couldn't get to it. Now he usually cooperates if I just tell him "no" (he'll be 3 in April), but it took a lot of persistence.

LOL. My DD does the same thing. When she first started I didn't care because she didn't hurt me. Now she REALLY hurts me, sometimes digging her nails(no matter how short I keep them) into the opening of my nipples. I do the like the PP said and block it either with my hand, arm, or her body. She really fight for it too. I do sometimes use a necklace, not a nursing necklace per say but a plastic beaded necklace, I have deamed safe. I started that in Nov when she was 7 months. Sometimes she still digs for that other nipple and I hate telling her no, but man it just really hurts and I have to.

There was also another thread on twiddling awhile back. I will try to find it.

I bumped it for you. I wanted to read it again to because she wasn't doing it so hard before.
    Last edited by Mia'sMom; February 3rd, 2007 at 08:30 PM.

It is never too late to start with a necklace....I started with one when my DD was either 9 or 10 months old and use them mostly when we are out in public (she's 15.5 months now). I started to use one becase she was hitting, pinching and scratching me while nursing, oh and pulling my hair .

I do make and sell these if you are interested, there are also other mama's that make them and you can find them online.

Good Luck to you!!!!
    Last edited by babygirlsmom1005; February 4th, 2007 at 10:07 PM.

Lately I've been handing Aaron things to hold while he's nursing. Small things that are usually otherwise forbidden. Not so small that he could eat it, but small so that he can hold it- in other words, not a 5lb barbell or something. He has started nursing longer as he inspects these things with both of his hands and nipple in mouth. I don't use a boppy anymore, obviously, or else he couldn't do this. We nurse in a chair or rocking chair usually. (sometimes walking around the house, too!)

HTH!

Necklaces or stuffed animals or blankies work great for some kids, and that's a great age to introduce a "lovey" anyway. Never worked for me.. Once my dd's hands started to wander I couldn't get her to handle anything besides the "other side." She'd experiment by rolling, rubbing, pinching, etc. If she hurt me... or really if it was unpleasant at all.. I would tell her "ouch. stop that hurts. be gentle." and pull her hand away. I'd let her go and she, in the beginning most likely, went back to doing the same thing. So I'd end the nursing session. She'd throw a fit. I'd nurse her again in a minute or two, reminding her to be gentle and she learned. You may even want to direct the hand in exactly what you want it to be doing... like keep it open and still, or place it on the breast he's drinking from. Once dd was older (way older), she would just put both hands on one breast when I told her to keep the other one covered. Unfortunately that was long after we stopped nursing in public.

I didn't get a nursing necklace until 10-11 months, and then he didn't seem to interested in it for a while. Now he loves it, inspects each bead, seems really interested in the different shapes and textures. We also introduced a stuffed cat at around 12 months hoping to create a lovey, and it has worked, kinda. He does like to fiddle with the cat although occasionally he tosses it mischievously. It's great for stroking him to sleep, he sometimes does that himself, stroking the cat's soft paw or tail on his cheek.

I got my necklace from Mommy and Me necklaces: http://mommynecklaces.com/

Annie

Wow I guess I'm not the only one that has or is dealing with this so nice to know! I have been on the edge of buying a nursing necklace and was going to buy a regular bead necklace but haven't because of fears of breaking and such. I think I might buy a nursing necklace now cause at least I know maybe sometimes I might be able to redirect to it by PP's comments. I just hated thininking I'd would waste money on something that I never could use and pennys count with so many mouths too feed in this house. Thanks so much girls.