Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mastitis and Bleeding!!!

Default Mastitis and Bleeding!!!

I desperately need help. i wa diagnosed sun with mastitis and am taking keflex. yesterday i suddenly started bleeding from the breast when i pumped. bloody milk just spurted out. sorry if tmi. i've had it happen 3 times now. dr told me to stop bfing on that side but i read not to so i won't but why ands where is the blood coming from and what does it mean?

Default Re: Mastitis and Bleeding!!!

Try not to panic. You have an infection in your breast -- it wouldn't be uncommon to see some blood, pus or mucous coming from that breast.

Please continue nursing your baby from the affected side as often as possible -- it won't hurt your baby.

I hope you begin to feel better soon. Oh! And if you aren't already, you may want to consider taking some probiotics (acidophilus) during this time. The antibiotics could cause thrush and the acidophilus will help ward it off. Not from an approved LLL source but good info on this nonetheless: Preventing Thrush

Get well soon!

thanks. does this mean the keflex isn't working then?

Not necessarily. Blood can show up even in a healthy breast. I wouldn't worry about it. But if the mastitis doesn't appear to be clearing up then you probably need to get back to your doctor and/or take some more natural measures to help get rid of it.

How are you feeling now?

I had that once, too ... was terrified -- I called my Dr. & was reassured that it would stop on it's own if I kept taking the meds, etc.

TAKE CARE
    ~ Tiffany

Child Passenger Safety Technician
    Home/unschooling mama to my Kindergartner!
    Leila Maribelle self-weaned at 4 years old....